Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: Implications of GIF vs. JPG

Re: Implications of GIF vs. JPG

Raterus

GIF's only support 256 colors, so down the road if you needed to use a picture with more colors...you can't. Though there is nothing saying you HAVE to use one format for an entire site, GIF's are great for the little things.

"Bill Borg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> I am rebuilding a site for somebody. They have used mostly GIFs, whereas I
> gravitate toward JPGs. In the cases I'm considering the pictures are about
> the same size (8-10K), and they look the same in either format. Are there any
> considerations I'm missing in choosing one over the other--i.e. browser
> support, caching, etc.? Any thoughts are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Borg

Kevin Spencer

One other thing: GIFs support transparency, while JPGs do not. With a GIF,
you can define one fully-transparent color. Additionally, while I'm on the
subject, PNG files, which are also supported by all browsers, allow multiple
transparencies. So, if you want an image to have a transparent background,
use a GIF or PNG. If you want it to be anti-aliased as well, use a PNG.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

news:#C#(E-Mail Removed)...