Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Porting from JScript to JScript.Net - compiler error

Porting from JScript to JScript.Net - compiler error

Jon Maz

Hi All,

Am trying to port an existing asp 3.0 app written in JScript to JScript.Net,
and have just had the following error:

COMPILATION ERROR
required to service this request. Please review the following
specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

COMPILER ERROR MESSAGE:
JS1113: Only valid inside a class definition

SOURCE ERROR:
Line 11242: }
Line 11243:
Line 11244: protected override function FrameworkInitialize() {
Line 11245: this.__BuildControlTree(this);
Line 11246: this.FileDependencies =
ASP.test2_aspx.__fileDependencies;

SOURCE FILE:
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Tempora ry
ASP.NET Files\root\6ee7ca74\d173ebaf\rcfu-d1s.0.js
Line: 11244

All I can find in the documentation about this is the following:

TemplateControl.FrameworkInitialize Method
This member supports the .NET Framework infrastructure and is not
intended to be used directly from your code.

This isn't looking good.... does anyone know how to deal with this?

TIA,

JON

PS First posted to aspmessageboard
http://www.aspmessageboard.com/forum...25525&F=36&P=1

Rashad Rivera

At first glance, it seems like you are using the protected attribute outside
of a class declaration. I can't tell for sure until I see more of the code
block around this error.

- Rashad Rivera
Omegus Prime

"Jon Maz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> Am trying to port an existing asp 3.0 app written in JScript to

JScript.Net,
> and have just had the following error:
>
> COMPILATION ERROR

resource
> required to service this request. Please review the following
> specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.
>
> COMPILER ERROR MESSAGE:
> JS1113: Only valid inside a class definition
>
> SOURCE ERROR:
> Line 11242: }
> Line 11243:
> Line 11244: protected override function FrameworkInitialize() {
> Line 11245: this.__BuildControlTree(this);
> Line 11246: this.FileDependencies =
> ASP.test2_aspx.__fileDependencies;
>
> SOURCE FILE:
> C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Tempora ry
> ASP.NET Files\root\6ee7ca74\d173ebaf\rcfu-d1s.0.js
> Line: 11244
>
> All I can find in the documentation about this is the following:
>
> TemplateControl.FrameworkInitialize Method
> This member supports the .NET Framework infrastructure and is not
> intended to be used directly from your code.
>
> This isn't looking good.... does anyone know how to deal with this?
>
> TIA,
>
> JON
>
> PS First posted to aspmessageboard

http://www.aspmessageboard.com/forum...25525&F=36&P=1

Jon Maz

Hi Rashad,

That's just the thing, there *is* no code to show you - well, none that I
wrote, anyway.

All I did was take an existing (and working) asp 3.0 application written in
JScript, changed all the .asp extensions to .aspx, added a web.config file
to the root folder, and then got this error message - which clearly doesn't
apply to any code that *I* wrote!

In fact, since the error is clearly in a piece of dotnet code, the only
thing that makes any sense to me is that this is a bug somewhere in the
Dotnet Framework - which would mean that I can't do anything to fix it.

Any other interpretation of the situation would be more than welcome...

---

Greg Burns

Make sure ASPNET user has proper rights to required temp folders.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...lListsACLs.asp

Sounds somewhat reminiscent of the issues caused with the IIS lockdown tool.

Greg

"Jon Maz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Rashad,
>
> That's just the thing, there *is* no code to show you - well, none that I
> wrote, anyway.
>
> All I did was take an existing (and working) asp 3.0 application written

in
> JScript, changed all the .asp extensions to .aspx, added a web.config file
> to the root folder, and then got this error message - which clearly

doesn't
> apply to any code that *I* wrote!
>
> In fact, since the error is clearly in a piece of dotnet code, the only
> thing that makes any sense to me is that this is a bug somewhere in the
> Dotnet Framework - which would mean that I can't do anything to fix it.
>
> Any other interpretation of the situation would be more than welcome...

> ---

Jon Maz

Hi All,

Well, after much research I finally found out what was causing the problem,
and can still hardly believe it - it was one function which used the JScript
"arguments" property:

function XXX(.........)
{
if (XXX.arguments.length < 3 ...)
}

Removing the line with .arguments removed the error! As to why the compiler
came up with such an unhelpful error message, without pinpointing the file &
line number, is beyond me...

Anyway, onwards and upwards to the next problem! Thanks to all for their
helpful contributions.

JON