Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] unicorn 0.93.2 - more compatible with Rails

[ANN] unicorn 0.93.2 - more compatible with Rails

Eric Wong

Unicorn is a HTTP server for Rack applications designed to take
advantage of features in Unix/Unix-like kernels and only serve fast
clients on low-latency, high-bandwidth connections. Slow clients should
only be served by placing a reverse proxy capable of fully-buffering
both the the request and response in between Unicorn and slow clients.

* http://unicorn.bogomips.org/
* http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
* git://git.bogomips.org/unicorn.git

Thanks to Chris Wanstrath for reporting issues with large
POST bodies and for helping me test.

Changes:

Avoid truncated POST bodies with URL-encoded forms in Rails
by switching TeeInput to use read-in-full semantics (only) when
a Content-Length: header exists. Chunked request bodies
continue to exhibit readpartial semantics to support
simultaneous bidirectional chunking.

The lack of return value checking in Rails to protect against a
short ios.read(length) is entirely reasonable even if not
pedantically correct. Most ios.read(length) implementations
return the full amount requested except right before EOF.

A ticket has been opened here to track the issue:
https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/proj...4/tickets/3343

Also there are some minor documentation improvements.

Eric Wong (:
Fix NEWS generation on single-paragraph tag messages
Include GPLv2 in docs
doc: make it clear contributors retain copyrights
TODO: removed Rainbows! (see rainbows.rubyforge.org)
Document the START_CTX hash contents
more-compatible TeeInput#read for POSTs with Content-Length
tests for read-in-full vs readpartial semantics
unicorn 0.93.2
--
Eric Wong

Daniel Berger

On Oct 7, 3:00=A0am, Eric Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Unicorn is a HTTP server for Rack applications designed to take
> advantage of features in Unix/Unix-like kernels and only serve fast
> clients on low-latency, high-bandwidth connections. =A0Slow clients shoul=

> only be served by placing a reverse proxy capable of fully-buffering
> both the the request and response in between Unicorn and slow clients.
>
> *http://unicorn.bogomips.org/
> * (E-Mail Removed)
> * git://git.bogomips.org/unicorn.git
>
> Thanks to Chris Wanstrath for reporting issues with large
> POST bodies and for helping me test.
>
> Changes:
>
> Avoid truncated POST bodies with URL-encoded forms in Rails
> by switching TeeInput to use read-in-full semantics (only) when
> a Content-Length: header exists. =A0Chunked request bodies
> continue to exhibit readpartial semantics to support
> simultaneous bidirectional chunking.
>
> The lack of return value checking in Rails to protect against a
> short ios.read(length) is entirely reasonable even if not
> pedantically correct. =A0Most ios.read(length) implementations
> return the full amount requested except right before EOF.
>
> A ticket has been opened here to track the issue:
> =A0https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/3343
>
> Also there are some minor documentation improvements.
>
> Eric Wong (:
> =A0 =A0 =A0 Fix NEWS generation on single-paragraph tag messages
> =A0 =A0 =A0 Include GPLv2 in docs
> =A0 =A0 =A0 doc: make it clear contributors retain copyrights
> =A0 =A0 =A0 TODO: removed Rainbows! (see rainbows.rubyforge.org)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 Document the START_CTX hash contents
> =A0 =A0 =A0 more-compatible TeeInput#read for POSTs with Content-Length
> =A0 =A0 =A0 tests for read-in-full vs readpartial semantics
> =A0 =A0 =A0 unicorn 0.93.2
> --
> Eric Wong

There was a pretty good blog entry on Unicorn recently:

http://tomayko.com/writings/unicorn-is-unix

Regards,

Dan

Eric Wong

Daniel Berger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 7, 3:00*am, Eric Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Unicorn is a HTTP server for Rack applications designed to take
> > advantage of features in Unix/Unix-like kernels and only serve fast
> > clients on low-latency, high-bandwidth connections. *Slow clients should
> > only be served by placing a reverse proxy capable of fully-buffering
> > both the the request and response in between Unicorn and slow clients.
> >

> There was a pretty good blog entry on Unicorn recently:
>
> http://tomayko.com/writings/unicorn-is-unix

Yup, it is excellent

One minor correction about SELF_PIPE usage here:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp....orn.general/59

Overall I'm extremely happy with the article and interest this has
generated in good ol' Unix-isms

--
Eric Wong

Daniel Berger