Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > building from source

building from source

Rajinder Yadav

Do I need to consider anything if I were to build the latest 1.9 Ruby
stable from source. I currently have Ruby 1.8 installed using the
package manager on my Kubuntu.

I know I can install 1.9 from my package manager.
I am wondering what would happen, any adverse effect?

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://devmentor.org
Do Good! ~ Share Freely

Stefan Peters

On 6 Okt., 21:27, Rajinder Yadav <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Do I need to consider anything if I were to build the latest 1.9 Ruby
> stable from source. =A0I currently have Ruby 1.8 installed using the
> package manager on my Kubuntu.

Its very easy and fast (at least for 1.8.x i did it for some of our
older build machines). Just configure, compile and install [1]. Maybe
setup the PATH of your machine if you installed 1.9 into a separate
directory. Than you can easily delete if if 1.9 is available over the
package management.

Stefan

[1] http://www.rubyinside.com/how-to-sta...9-right-now-6=
61.html
(should be the same on Kubuntu)

> I know I can install 1.9 from my package manager.
> I am wondering what would happen, any adverse effect?
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Rajinder Yadav
>
> http://devmentor.org
> Do Good! ~ Share Freely

Rajinder Yadav

Stefan Peters wrote:

> On 6 Okt., 21:27, Rajinder Yadav <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Do I need to consider anything if I were to build the latest 1.9 Ruby
>> stable from source. I currently have Ruby 1.8 installed using the
>> package manager on my Kubuntu.

> Its very easy and fast (at least for 1.8.x i did it for some of our
> older build machines). Just configure, compile and install [1]. Maybe
> setup the PATH of your machine if you installed 1.9 into a separate
> directory. Than you can easily delete if if 1.9 is available over the
> package management.

I think I will start to play around with 1.9. I did a test install of Ruby
1.9+Gems from source on CentOS 5.3 running in VMWare. It was really easy and
fast to install.

> Stefan
>
> [1] http://www.rubyinside.com/how-to-sta...t-now-661.html
> (should be the same on Kubuntu)