Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Catching "File Saved" or CMD-W Signal?

Catching "File Saved" or CMD-W Signal?

Lance Pollard

Hey,

How does git/svn know to to finish committing your changes after you
close the commit message (assuming you open it in TextMate or
something)?

I would like to create something similar, where you run a command, it
opens a file for you to fill in the blanks, and when you save and close
it, the process finishes, how would I do that?

Thanks so much,
Lance

Space Ship Traveller

It spawns the child process (editor) and when it quits it checks the
status code of the process. If it was successful it continues with the
commit.

On 19/09/2009, at 3:04 PM, Lance Pollard wrote:

> Hey,
>
> How does git/svn know to to finish committing your changes after you
> close the commit message (assuming you open it in TextMate or
> something)?
>
> I would like to create something similar, where you run a command, it
> opens a file for you to fill in the blanks, and when you save and
> close
> it, the process finishes, how would I do that?
>
> Thanks so much,
> Lance

Lance Pollard

> It spawns the child process (editor) and when it quits it checks the
> status code of the process. If it was successful it continues with the
> commit.

Thanks, that's how it works!

Anyone have a quick snippet to make that happen? How does it know when
it quits, and how does it continue the process, that seems like I'd need
to look through a lot of blogs

Thanks,
Lance