Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > What's the best cross platform approach (Windows/Mac) to deploy asimple service/daemon (with simple UI)

What's the best cross platform approach (Windows/Mac) to deploy asimple service/daemon (with simple UI)

Greg Hauptmann

Hi,

I'm getting confused re the range of options for development &
deploying some simple code & UI to both Windows & Mac. Can anyone
assist re a good direction here. I do like Ruby, however if it makes
sense to move away from this (e.g. java, c#) then so be it. Which
development option would people suggest for this?

REQUIREMENTS
1. Support for Windows & Mac
2. The installation should be one-click and package all required
dependencies as much as possible.
3. Scheduling capability required - so either via (a) installed as a
service/daemon, or (b) ability for installation to schedule periodic
call to script (former is preferred)
4. Functionality component requires - ability to access/parse
web-sites, and then ability to make HTTP(S) calls out to my site to
store parsed data. So heave on HTTP(S) methods. Proxy support
required in app, so ability for user to enter
host/port/username/password for the proxy server.

DEV OPTIONS ?? - This is where I need help/advice. Some of the many
options that come to mind:
1. Develop in Ruby and then find packaging product to create Windows &
Mac installation packages - not sure how doable this is yet?
Especially if I need the installation to effectively install as a
service.
2. Develop in Java for cross-platform? but then needs users to have
installed JRE?
3. Develop as Firefox addon? I'm not across this, but even if you
can write custom code, then the issue would be firefox would have to
be running I guess.
4. Develop windows & Mac versions separately, for example using Visual
Studio Express to develop the windows version (assuming it can do HTTP
work & create packages for installing services).

What would people suggest here? (would be nice to write once, push a
button and then get the Mac & Windows installation packages spat out)

Thanks

Bigmac Turdsplash

i would create separate functions for each Os, set up a vm network...
windows xp, vista and mac... just to test your scripts...

if os = 'windows xp' then
# perform these functions
else

if os = 'osx mac' then
# perform tghese functions

...etc...

this is just to give you a idea of how i would do it... its improper...
i hope it helps...

saurabh purnaye

Hi,
There are many ways to get the information about the information about the
operating system and
implement the logic as

1. get the system info at ENV variable

ENV.to_hash.each do |key, value|
puts("#{key} - #{value}")
end
2. use 'rbconfig'
require 'rbconfig'
case Config::CONFIG['host_os']
when /mswin|windows/i
puts "its windows"
else
puts "Its not!"
end

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Bigmac Turdsplash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i would create separate functions for each Os, set up a vm network...
> windows xp, vista and mac... just to test your scripts...
>
> if os = 'windows xp' then
> # perform these functions
> else
>
> if os = 'osx mac' then
> # perform tghese functions
>
> ...etc...
>
> this is just to give you a idea of how i would do it... its improper...
> i hope it helps...

Thanks and Regards
Saurabh Purnaye
+91-9922071155
skype: sorab_pune
yahoo & gtalk: saurabh.purnaye
msn: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

David Masover

On Monday 14 September 2009 08:05:15 pm Greg Hauptmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting confused re the range of options for development &
> deploying some simple code & UI to both Windows & Mac. Can anyone
> assist re a good direction here. I do like Ruby, however if it makes
> sense to move away from this (e.g. java, c#) then so be it. Which
> development option would people suggest for this?
>
> REQUIREMENTS
> 1. Support for Windows & Mac
> 2. The installation should be one-click and package all required
> dependencies as much as possible.
> 3. Scheduling capability required - so either via (a) installed as a
> service/daemon, or (b) ability for installation to schedule periodic
> call to script (former is preferred)
> 4. Functionality component requires - ability to access/parse
> web-sites, and then ability to make HTTP(S) calls out to my site to
> store parsed data. So heave on HTTP(S) methods. Proxy support
> required in app, so ability for user to enter
> host/port/username/password for the proxy server.
>
> DEV OPTIONS ?? - This is where I need help/advice. Some of the many
> options that come to mind:
> 1. Develop in Ruby and then find packaging product to create Windows &
> Mac installation packages - not sure how doable this is yet?
> Especially if I need the installation to effectively install as a
> service.
> 2. Develop in Java for cross-platform? but then needs users to have
> installed JRE?

Most have it installed, and rawr might handle that.

Oh, and use JRuby, not Java.

Another possibility is to make it a pure web service, but you haven't given us
enough information:

> 3. Scheduling capability required

If it wasn't for that, I'd strongly suggest a web service. As it is, I still
might. Not all apps can be web apps, but for those who do, you pretty much
don't have that deployment question -- people "install" your website by
visiting it. Worst case, you tell them to install Firefox, so you don't have
to support IE...