Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Having problems with Gem version on Snow Leopard

Having problems with Gem version on Snow Leopard

Rick DeNatale

So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.

It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 is this right?

$ which gem
/usr/bin/gem
$ gem --version
1.2.0

Okay, so I guess I need to update

$ sudo gem update --system
Password:
Updating RubyGems
Updating rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
undefined local variable or method `remote_gemspecs' for
#<Gem::Commands::UpdateCommand:0x1018e16b8

And some of the (old) stuff I found via google says to do it again,
but I get exactly the same thing, so then plan B is suggested

$ sudo gem install rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
1 gem installed

$ update_rubygems
Installing RubyGems 1.2.0
mkdir -p /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8
mkdir -p /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin
install -c -m 0644 rbconfig/datadir.rb
/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rbconfig/datadir.rb
... # Lots of install lines snipped
install -c -m 0644 ubygems.rb /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/ubygems.rb
cp gem /var/folders/DV/DVi3x+y8HiSSTCLkEYVBpE+++TI/-Tmp-/gem
install -c -m 0755
/var/folders/DV/DVi3x+y8HiSSTCLkEYVBpE+++TI/-Tmp-/gem
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem
rm /var/folders/DV/DVi3x+y8HiSSTCLkEYVBpE+++TI/-Tmp-/gem
rm -f /source_cache
Removing old RubyGems RDoc and ri
Installing rubygems-1.2.0 ri into /doc/rubygems-1.2.0/ri
Installing rubygems-1.2.0 rdoc into /doc/rubygems-1.2.0/rdoc

---

=3D Announce: RubyGems Release 1.2.0

Release 1.2.0 adds new features and fixes some bugs.
[snip]
If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
you need to do is:

$ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)

(Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
installed rubygems-update gems).

If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
do it in two steps:

$ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems (... here too)

[ Sounds like what I did]

If `gem` was installed by a previous RubyGems installation, you may need
to remove it by hand.

-------

$ gem --version
1.2.0

WTF?????????

Okay so where is the gem binary?

$ which gem
/usr/bin/gem
$ ls -al /usr/bin/gem
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 71 Aug 29 14:15 /usr/bin/gem ->
../../System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

So, is there a newer rubygems-update?

$ gem list -b rubygems-update

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

rubygems-update (1.2.0)

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

rubygems-update (1.3.5)
\e]0;rick=E2=9E=9C ~ $ gem sources
*** CURRENT SOURCES ***

http://gems.rubyforge.org/
http://gems.github.com

So let's try installing that:

$ gem update rubygems-update
Updating installed gems
Updating rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
undefined local variable or method `remote_gemspecs' for
#<Gem::Commands::UpdateCommand:0x1018e1690>

Okay lets's try installing the specific version:

$ gem install --remote --version 1.3.5 rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
1 gem installed

And the version gets ignored.

Any ideas about how to get out of this loop???

--=20
Rick DeNatale

WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/pers...-rick-denatale

Ryan Davis

On Aug 29, 2009, at 16:01 , Rick DeNatale wrote:

> So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
> totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.
>
> It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 is this
> right?
>
> $ which gem
> /usr/bin/gem
> $ gem --version
> 1.2.0

huh... I get:

> 501 % gem --version
> 1.3.5
> 502 % which gem
> /usr/bin/gem
> 503 % ll /usr/bin/gem
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 71 Aug 28 16:05 /usr/bin/gem@ -> ../../
> System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

So I have no idea why you're back at 1.2.0. :/

Can you make sure you don't have multiple ruby's installed on your
machine? Also, if you're really back at 1.2.0, then you NEED to
install via tarball. This is a known and published bug. You're also
doing several steps w/o sudo.

Ryan Davis

On Aug 29, 2009, at 16:01 , Rick DeNatale wrote:

> So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
> totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.
>
> It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 is this
> right?
>
> $ which gem
> /usr/bin/gem
> $ gem --version
> 1.2.0

huh... I get:

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Ryan Davis<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2009, at 16:01 , Rick DeNatale wrote:
>
>> So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
>> totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.
>>
>> It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 =A0is this rig=

ht?

>> $ which gem
>> /usr/bin/gem
>> $ gem --version
>> 1.2.0

> huh... I get:
>
>> 501 % gem --version
>> 1.3.5
>> 502 % which gem
>> /usr/bin/gem
>> 503 % ll /usr/bin/gem
>> lrwxr-xr-x =A01 root =A0wheel =A071 Aug 28 16:05 /usr/bin/gem@ ->
>> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

> So I have no idea why you're back at 1.2.0. :/
>
> Can you make sure you don't have multiple ruby's installed on your machin=

e?
> Also, if you're really back at 1.2.0, then you NEED to install via tarbal=

l.
> This is a known and published bug. You're also doing several steps w/o su=

do.

I've gone back an punted and installed ruby and gems from source.

I should have done the usual bypass surgery to begin with.

On Aug 29, 2009, at 18:46 , Rick DeNatale wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Ryan Davis<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 29, 2009, at 16:01 , Rick DeNatale wrote:
>>
>>> So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
>>> totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.
>>>
>>> It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 is this
>>> right?
>>>
>>> $ which gem
>>> /usr/bin/gem
>>> $ gem --version
>>> 1.2.0

>> huh... I get:
>>
>>> 501 % gem --version
>>> 1.3.5
>>> 502 % which gem
>>> /usr/bin/gem
>>> 503 % ll /usr/bin/gem
>>> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 71 Aug 28 16:05 /usr/bin/gem@ ->
>>> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/
>>> bin/gem

>> So I have no idea why you're back at 1.2.0. :/
>>
>> Can you make sure you don't have multiple ruby's installed on your
>> machine?
>> Also, if you're really back at 1.2.0, then you NEED to install via
>> tarball.
>> This is a known and published bug. You're also doing several steps
>> w/o sudo.

> I've gone back an punted and installed ruby and gems from source.
>
> I should have done the usual bypass surgery to begin with.

It would have been nice to have figured it out. I haven't (ever) done
any of "the usual bypass surgery" so I have no means to reproduce the
issue.

Rick DeNatale

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Ryan Davis<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> t would have been nice to have figured it out. I haven't (ever) done any of
> "the usual bypass surgery" so I have no means to reproduce the issue.

Yeah. It would have been nice to find the root cause, but it was one
of several bumps in my road to a Snow Leopard development machine and
I took the easy? way out.

I made the mistake of embarking on the system upgrade after getting
only three hours of sleep before, so I guess my I.Q. was even lower
than normal yesterday.

--
Rick DeNatale

WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/pers...-rick-denatale

Eric Hodel

On Aug 30, 2009, at 04:57, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Ryan Davis<ryand-
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> t would have been nice to have figured it out. I haven't (ever)
>> done any of
>> "the usual bypass surgery" so I have no means to reproduce the issue.

> Yeah. It would have been nice to find the root cause, but it was one
> of several bumps in my road to a Snow Leopard development machine and
> I took the easy? way out.
>
> I made the mistake of embarking on the system upgrade after getting
> only three hours of sleep before, so I guess my I.Q. was even lower
> than normal yesterday.

I guess 1.2's updater has more bugs than I thought

The 1.3.x release notes mention a "Nothing to update" bug, but this
seems to be different.