Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby 1.9 build requirements

Reply
Thread Tools

Ruby 1.9 build requirements

 
 
tirins.play
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2009
I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition. I followed the
instructions on the Ubuntu site to build Ruby 1.9
(p243) from scratch. The build appeared to work, but gem installs
complain about missing zlib.

I have found a number of sites that list the prerequisite packages,
but there is some amount of disagreement about what needs to be
installed prior to making Ruby 1.9. Does anyone have a definitive list
of prerequisite packages?

Thanks for your help.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kenji Yamauchi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2009
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/getting-...allation/linux

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM, tirins.play<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition. I followed the
> instructions on the Ubuntu site to build Ruby 1.9
> (p243) from scratch. The build appeared to work, but gem installs
> complain about missing zlib.
>
> I have found a number of sites that list the prerequisite packages,
> but there is some amount of disagreement about what needs to be
> installed prior to making Ruby 1.9. Does anyone have a definitive list
> of prerequisite packages?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
>




--
-----
Kenji Yamauchi
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tom Cloyd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2009
Kenji Yamauchi wrote:
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/getting-...allation/linux
>
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM, tirins.play<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition. I followed the
>> instructions on the Ubuntu site to build Ruby 1.9
>> (p243) from scratch. The build appeared to work, but gem installs
>> complain about missing zlib.
>>
>> I have found a number of sites that list the prerequisite packages,
>> but there is some amount of disagreement about what needs to be
>> installed prior to making Ruby 1.9. Does anyone have a definitive list
>> of prerequisite packages?
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>>
>>
>>

Having problems - I have installed the prequisites, and unzipped the
source package for ruby-1.9.1-p243, and I'm . I've installed from source
before, but not ruby 1.9. I cannot get beyond this:


> tomc@tomc-desktop:~/software_archive/ruby-1.9.1/ruby-1.9.1-p243$
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-openssl-dir=/usr
> --with-readline-dir=/usr --with-zlib-dir=/usr
> bash: ./configure: Permission denied
> tomc@tomc-desktop:~/software_archive/ruby-1.9.1/ruby-1.9.1-p243$ sudo
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-openssl-dir=/usr
> --with-readline-dir=/usr --with-zlib-dir=/usr
> sudo: ./configure: command not found

I really don't understand enough what I'm doing to see the problem.

Can someone help me?

Tks,

Tom

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC - Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< (E-Mail Removed) >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)
<< sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health weblog)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Cloyd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2009
Kenji Yamauchi wrote:
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/getting-...allation/linux
>
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM, tirins.play<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition. I followed the
>> instructions on the Ubuntu site to build Ruby 1.9
>> (p243) from scratch. The build appeared to work, but gem installs
>> complain about missing zlib.
>>
>> I have found a number of sites that list the prerequisite packages,
>> but there is some amount of disagreement about what needs to be
>> installed prior to making Ruby 1.9. Does anyone have a definitive list
>> of prerequisite packages?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>>
>>

>
>
>
>

Re: previous email and my problems with ./configure - !@#$##@!

I just cannot remember to make that thing EXECUTABLE. Does make a
difference. Sigh.

Sorry for the stumble.

t.

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC - Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< (E-Mail Removed) >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)
<< sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health weblog)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not Buid errors when build, yes build erros when deploy, why? Pedro Mir ASP .Net 2 06-20-2006 02:26 AM
Build a Better Blair (like Build a Better Bush, only better) Kenny Computer Support 0 05-06-2005 04:50 AM
[BUILD] ruby-1.8.2p2 failing to build gdbm, iconv Brian Candler Ruby 1 10-21-2004 05:14 PM
SWsoft Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 Build 508, Acronis OS Selector 8.0 Build 917, Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Build 292, Acronis Power Utilities 2004 Build 502, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS.PROXY v1.10.17.WINALL, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS v5.50.10260 for CITRI vvcd Computer Support 0 09-25-2004 01:38 AM
How to build ASP.NET projects on a separate build machine? Vagif Abilov ASP .Net 2 07-07-2004 04:34 PM



Advertisments