Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Expert Systems and Ruby

Expert Systems and Ruby

Mason Kelsey

I'm taking an advanced artificial intelligence course in graduate school at
UCF and, among other things, I am studying expert systems including:
ConceptNet3, Wordnet, Yago, CYC, Dendral, Macsyma, and Mycin. The topic for
my class this afternoon.

My questions must have been asked before but I am new to Ruby. I am going
to try to use Ruby for my programming assignments. Ruby seems to be a terse
but capable language available across several platforms. My
first assignment I would like to accomplish is to use Ruby to access some of
the expert system, especially ConceptNet3, Wordnet, and CYC. In other
words, build a Ruby shell around the expert system.

I would like to learn how to interface with these systems. Do I have to
download them to my computer or do I use the internet to establish an
interface, such as Ruby on Rails? Is there any existing code that I can
use as a template that is available on a web site somewhere? If not, a
reply with code on this forum would be helpful.

I currently have Ruby 1.8 in my Windows XP environment on a Dell Inspiron
8200 laptop that I bought in 2002. My desktop crashed recently and I am in
the process of replacing it. (Taught me an important lesson to use gmail
for my emails and address.)

Much thanks in advance,

No Sam

Aldric Giacomoni

You want to create a Ruby wrapping to connect to these systems?
Check ActiveRecord ?

brabuhr@gmail.com

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Mason Kelsey<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote=
:
> I'm taking an advanced artificial intelligence course in graduate school =

at
> UCF and, among other things, I am studying expert systems including:
> ConceptNet3, Wordnet, Yago, CYC, Dendral, Macsyma, and Mycin. =A0The topi=

c for
> my class this afternoon.

There is a Ruby library for Wordnet:
http://www.deveiate.org/projects/Ruby-WordNet