Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Firebug (?) displays Ruby code to get/set HTML element

Firebug (?) displays Ruby code to get/set HTML element

Jack Bamford

Several months ago I used a Firefox/Firebug extension that displayed the
Ruby code (python too IIRC) needed to get and/or set a selected HTML
element.

Now I can't find it again and it's making me crazy.

I have googled and FAQ'd my butt off but no dice. I'd even consider
paying a Ruby wizard to help me find this, if neccy. cb0 <punctuation>
me <punctuation> com

PLEASE help!!!

CB

PS. It may even not be a Firefox thingie --- I just can't imagine what
else it would be. I use Mac OS X, and can't find it in Safari either.

Fabian Streitel

huh? since when does firebug use ruby?
i think you're mistaken here. AFAIK that's all javascript

Greetz

Fabian Streitel wrote:
> huh? since when does firebug use ruby?
> Greetz

It's a Firefox/Firebug EXTENSION, not a native function.

Here's how it worked:
You browsed to a website of interest, then selected a field on the page.
The extension I am looking for would display, in a separate window, the
Ruby (or optionally Python) expression needed to access that field
(under the Ruby OSA interface to Apple Script).

I am not dreaming this --- I used it several times about 10 months ago
--- but I cant remember its name or find it thru google.

I will admit my OP was very confusing.

Thx

Mark Thomas

On Jul 23, 7:26*pm, Jack Bamford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Fabian Streitel wrote:
> > huh? since when does firebug use ruby?
> > Greetz

> It's a Firefox/Firebug EXTENSION, not a native function.
>
> Here's how it worked:
> You browsed to a website of interest, then selected a field on the page.
> The extension I am looking for would display, in a separate window, the
> Ruby (or optionally Python) expression needed to access that field

That's neat, but it's not hard to put a

doc.at( )

around an XPath (Nokogiri syntax) that you get from Firebug or another
tool. Note, however, that you will get superior results crafting the
XPath yourself rather than blindly taking output from DOM-based tools.
See http://groups.google.com/group/comp....17d10bf6c4c1e3
for a discussion.