arun

I am trying to teach my students ruby and rails online, so that they
can contribute to the software we are writing for mentally challenged
kids at skid.org.in

I would love to be able to type something into an irb session on my
computer, and have my students be able to view it on their own. Is
there some cool way do do this?

Thanks,
Professor Arun Mehta

F. Senault

Le 22 juillet à 10:15, arun a écrit :

> I am trying to teach my students ruby and rails online, so that they
> can contribute to the software we are writing for mentally challenged
> kids at skid.org.in
>
> I would love to be able to type something into an irb session on my
> computer, and have my students be able to view it on their own. Is
> there some cool way do do this?

Dunno about cool, but if you're using *nix or cygwin, the GNU screen
utility ( http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ ) should allow you to
share terminals (for a start, cfr
http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/m...tiuser-Session
).

Fred
--
29.12.99 (...some headline...)
29.12.99 (...some headline...)

Pascal J. Bourguignon

arun <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I am trying to teach my students ruby and rails online, so that they
> can contribute to the software we are writing for mentally challenged
> kids at skid.org.in
>
> I would love to be able to type something into an irb session on my
> computer, and have my students be able to view it on their own. Is
> there some cool way do do this?

You could write an IRC bot that would receive ruby expressions,
evaluate them and return the results.

You and your student could then chat with any IRC client (there are
even IRC clients usable thru the web, have a look at:
http://webchat.freenode.net/ ).

You should only take care of the security, if random people can send
random instructions to your bot computer, it may be bad. But in a
controlled environment, it's simple enough to implement.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

Brian Candler

arun wrote:
> I would love to be able to type something into an irb session on my
> computer, and have my students be able to view it on their own. Is
> there some cool way do do this?

VNC

arun mehta

On Jul 22, 1:25 pm, "F. Senault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dunno about cool, but if you're using *nix or cygwin, the GNU screen
> utility (http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/) should allow you to
> share terminals (for a start, cfrhttp://www.gnu.org/software/screen/manual/screen.html#Multiuser-Session

thanks Fred
let me see if I can get my students to run cygwin
warmly,
arun

7stud --

arun wrote:
> I am trying to teach my students ruby and rails online, so that they
> can contribute to the software we are writing for mentally challenged
> kids at skid.org.in
>
> I would love to be able to type something into an irb session on my
> computer, and have my students be able to view it on their own. Is
> there some cool way do do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Professor Arun Mehta

Instead, why not write a ruby program in a much easier to use text
editor and email it to them? irb is idiotic.