Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby oriented JavaCC-like parser generator?

Ruby oriented JavaCC-like parser generator?

Eric Tucker

I'm looking for a really solid parser generator where I can write my own grammar like in JavaCC or Lex/Yacc to parse files in a custom built language. The more portable and more efficient the better (two mutually exclusive requirements? ) Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

--
Eric Tucker
Semperex, LLC

Gustav Paul

Hey Eric,

Have you checked out ANTLR?

Regards,
Gustav

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Eric Tucker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm looking for a really solid parser generator where I can write my own
> grammar like in JavaCC or Lex/Yacc to parse files in a custom built
> language. The more portable and more efficient the better (two mutually
> exclusive requirements? ) Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
>
> --
> Eric Tucker
> Semperex, LLC

Yugui (Yuki Sonoda)

On 7/21/09 10:10 AM, Eric Tucker wrote:
> I'm looking for a really solid parser generator where I can write my own grammar like in JavaCC or Lex/Yacc to parse files in a custom built language. The more portable and more efficient the better (two mutually exclusive requirements? ) Any suggestions?

Racc (http://i.loveruby.net/en/projects/racc/) is similar to Yacc.
You can write a grammer like in Yacc, and you can write actions in Ruby
instead of C.

It generates a ruby class for a grammer. The generated class depends on
racc-runtime (written in C), but the runtime is in the Ruby's standard
library.
So it is efficient and portable.

-- Yugui <(E-Mail Removed)>

Clifford Heath

Gustav Paul wrote:
> Have you checked out ANTLR?

Unless things have changed radically, ANTLR's Ruby support
is effectively non-functional.

Clifford Heath.

> Regards,
> Gustav
>
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Eric Tucker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a really solid parser generator where I can write my own
>> grammar like in JavaCC or Lex/Yacc to parse files in a custom built
>> language. The more portable and more efficient the better (two mutually
>> exclusive requirements? ) Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eric
>>
>> --
>> Eric Tucker
>> Semperex, LLC

Ryan Davis

On Jul 20, 2009, at 18:10 , Eric Tucker wrote:

> I'm looking for a really solid parser generator where I can write my
> own grammar like in JavaCC or Lex/Yacc to parse files in a custom
> built language. The more portable and more efficient the better (two
> mutually exclusive requirements? ) Any suggestions?

most of us use racc (for better or worse)... aaron and I are
maintaining it now and aaron has taken on rexx, tho he's released it
under a new name (currently forgetting, but prolly on his github).

class-oriented rather than object-oriented? notnorwegian@yahoo.se Python 2 05-26-2008 04:42 PM
XML Parser VS HTML Parser ZOCOR Java 11 10-05-2004 01:58 PM
XMLparser: Difference between parser.setErrorHandler() vs. parser.setContentHandler() Bernd Oninger Java 0 06-09-2004 01:26 AM
XMLparser: Difference between parser.setErrorHandler() vs. parser.setContentHandler() Bernd Oninger XML 0 06-09-2004 01:26 AM
Object oriented does not mean class oriented rolo Ruby 3 04-09-2004 02:51 PM

Advertisments