Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Time for a ruby-announce list?

Time for a ruby-announce list?

Trans

We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.
Perhaps if we have a separate list for them then:

1) ruby-talk itself would improve

2) we'd all know were to look to see what's new without having to
sift

3) other people besides Ryan Davis would announce their projects

T.

hemant

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Trans<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
> these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.
> Perhaps if we have a separate list for them then:
>
> 1) ruby-talk itself would improve

How?

> 2) we'd all know were to look to see what's new without having to
> sift

Again How? Many folks use filtered feed of ruby-talk that just caters
to announcements (rather than subscribing to mailing list).
Announcements are very important part of ruby-talk, moving
announcements to a different list serves little purpose.

> 3) other people besides Ryan Davis would announce their projects

Announce away! And may be we should send some ninjas to take away
zenspider's keyboard!

Ryan Davis

On Jun 24, 2009, at 02:06 , Trans wrote:

> We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
> these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.
> Perhaps if we have a separate list for them then:

Not counting my latest flood of releases, there are 40 announcements
out of 480 email over the last week or roughly 8.33%. If you do count
my flood, then it is 72 out of 529 or roughly 13.6%. Either way I
hardly think that constitutes the need for another list. seattle.rb,
ruby-core, ruby-talk, rubygems-developers, and UW-ruby... I don't need
any more ruby based mailing lists. Really, and this is coming from the
person who beat you to the punch by SEVEN years [1].

> 1) ruby-talk itself would improve

it would?

> 2) we'd all know were to look to see what's new without having to
> sift

see that "@gmail.com" part of your email address? I hear they're
pretty good at this sort of thing. Even my lowly mac mail app seems to
do a damn good job of it.

> 3) other people besides Ryan Davis would announce their projects

they would?

speculate much?

1) http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin...uby-talk/51569
and http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin...uby-talk/51818

Ryan Davis

On Jun 24, 2009, at 02:15 , hemant wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Trans<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> 3) other people besides Ryan Davis would announce their projects

> Announce away! And may be we should send some ninjas to take away
> zenspider's keyboard!

Double Dog Dare you.

Bill Kelly

From: "Trans" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> 2) we'd all know were to look to see what's new without having to
> sift

Geez, even my crappy Microsquish email client can do:

if Subject contains "[ANN]"
then move to folder "ruby-talk-announce"

... if i wanted it to, that is.

Regards,

Bill

Mohit Sindhwani

Trans wrote:
> We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
> these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.
> Perhaps if we have a separate list for them then:
>
> 1) ruby-talk itself would improve
>
> 2) we'd all know were to look to see what's new without having to
> sift
>
> 3) other people besides Ryan Davis would announce their projects

I'd have to vote No! I think a Ruby Talk list is perfectly the correct
place (in my mind) to have announcements related to things Ruby
developers use/ might want. I have seen numerous threads where people
have announced a gem only for it to be followed by quick responses on
problems people are facing, what might be wrong with it, etc. This
would become a bit more difficult if the gem were announced only on a
separate list.

Cheers,
Mohit.
6/24/2009 | 5:30 PM.

Robert Dober

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Ryan Davis<(E-Mail Removed)> wrot=
e:

> On Jun 24, 2009, at 02:15 , hemant wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Trans<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> 3) other people besides Ryan Davis would announce their projects

>> Announce away! And may be we should send some ninjas to take away
>> zenspider's keyboard!

> Double Dog Dare you.

Nice one .
Sorry Tom, I stole your idea in the other thread, needless to say that
I back you up on this

Cheers
Robert

--=20
Toutes les grandes personnes ont d=92abord =E9t=E9 des enfants, mais peu
d=92entre elles s=92en souviennent.

All adults have been children first, but not many remember.

[Antoine de Saint-Exup=E9ry]

Robert Dober

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Bill Kelly<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> From: "Trans" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> 2) we'd all know were to look to see what's new without having to
>> sift

> Geez, even my crappy Microsquish email client can do:
>
> if Subject contains "[ANN]"
> then move to folder "ruby-talk-announce"
>

> ... if i wanted it to, that is.

Now that is a philosophical question, personally I prefer to filter on
the ML address rather than on the subject line, seems much more
reliable. But it is a great thing to do in the meantime if one is
bothered ....

trans

On Jun 24, 5:15=A0am, hemant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Trans<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
> > these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.
> > Perhaps if we have a separate list for them then:

> > 1) ruby-talk itself would improve

> How?

Increasing the concentration/orientation of list toward Ruby issues,
problem solving, etc. rather then yet another 0.0.1 bump release.

> > 2) we'd all know were to look to see what's new without having to
> > sift

> Again How? Many folks use filtered feed of ruby-talk that just caters
> to announcements (rather than subscribing to mailing list).
> Announcements are very important part of ruby-talk, moving
> announcements to a different list serves little purpose.

At the very least it means you wouldn't need a filtered feed
Personally I am interested in both announcements and the rest of ruby-
talk. I would prefer to view the two separately. I am not going to go
out of my way to setup filters that will have only a limited level of
success.

T.

Ryan Davis

On Jun 24, 2009, at 03:12 , trans wrote:

> Personally I am interested in both announcements and the rest of ruby-
> talk. I would prefer to view the two separately. I am not going to go
> out of my way to setup filters that will have only a limited level of
> success.

and yet we should go out of our way to set up an entire mailing list
"that will have only a limited level of success"?