Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Noob, html trees & parsing

Noob, html trees & parsing

Michael Lesser

Hi all.

Noob, first project, read the Poignant Guide, et al.

I have a big Perl script that parses badly-formed HTML files with HTML
Element/Tree. I think it's time for an update.

I think the equivalent in Ruby is Hpricot? I haven't found a lot of dox
on this, so I am assuming that this type of problem is something that
becomes 'obvious' once you start working in Ruby. Or should I be
looking at another/better solution (as in, duh, it's got XXX built-in,
noob...)?

TIA

Sanjay Sharma

Michael Lesser wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Noob, first project, read the Poignant Guide, et al.
>
> I have a big Perl script that parses badly-formed HTML files with HTML
> Element/Tree. I think it's time for an update.
>
> I think the equivalent in Ruby is Hpricot? I haven't found a lot of dox
> on this, so I am assuming that this type of problem is something that
> becomes 'obvious' once you start working in Ruby. Or should I be
> looking at another/better solution (as in, duh, it's got XXX built-in,
> noob...)?
>
> TIA

You might want to take a look at html5lib <
http://code.google.com/p/html5lib/ > for parsing bad markup.