Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > The cover of "The Well-Grounded Rubyist"

The cover of "The Well-Grounded Rubyist"

David A. Black

Hi all --

I've gotten a couple of questions about why there seem to be two
covers for my new book, "The Well-Grounded Rubyist".

Answer: the cover was redesigned, late in the production process, and
the original cover is still in circulation online. Unfortunately, for
example, Amazon still uses the old cover. (It seems to be essentially
impossible to get them to update anything.)

So, to answer the question I've been getting: there is only one book!
The two covers don't mean there are two editions; it's just the result
of a time-lag in getting the new cover out.

All printed copies have the new cover.

David

Now available: The Well-Grounded Rubyist (http://manning.com/black2)
"Ruby 1.9: What You Need To Know" Envycasts with David A. Black
http://www.envycasts.com

Robert Klemme

On 10.06.2009 15:21, David A. Black wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> I've gotten a couple of questions about why there seem to be two
> covers for my new book, "The Well-Grounded Rubyist".
>
> Answer: the cover was redesigned, late in the production process, and
> the original cover is still in circulation online. Unfortunately, for
> example, Amazon still uses the old cover. (It seems to be essentially
> impossible to get them to update anything.)
>
> So, to answer the question I've been getting: there is only one book!
> The two covers don't mean there are two editions; it's just the result
> of a time-lag in getting the new cover out.
>
> All printed copies have the new cover.

Amazing: we're living in web 2.0 times and a printed book is more
current than an online medium. I guess this does not happen too often
these days.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Joshua Collins

Haha! I did not think of it that way Robert. Good observation

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Robert Klemme
<(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

> On 10.06.2009 15:21, David A. Black wrote:
>
>> Hi all --
>>
>> I've gotten a couple of questions about why there seem to be two
>> covers for my new book, "The Well-Grounded Rubyist".
>>
>> Answer: the cover was redesigned, late in the production process, and
>> the original cover is still in circulation online. Unfortunately, for
>> example, Amazon still uses the old cover. (It seems to be essentially
>> impossible to get them to update anything.)
>>
>> So, to answer the question I've been getting: there is only one book!
>> The two covers don't mean there are two editions; it's just the result
>> of a time-lag in getting the new cover out.
>>
>> All printed copies have the new cover.
>>

> Amazing: we're living in web 2.0 times and a printed book is more current
> than an online medium. I guess this does not happen too often these days.
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

> http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Rick DeNatale

Klemme<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10.06.2009 15:21, David A. Black wrote:
>>
>> Hi all --
>>
>> I've gotten a couple of questions about why there seem to be two
>> covers for my new book, "The Well-Grounded Rubyist".
>>
>> Answer: the cover was redesigned, late in the production process, and
>> the original cover is still in circulation online. Unfortunately, for
>> example, Amazon still uses the old cover. (It seems to be essentially
>> impossible to get them to update anything.)
>>
>> So, to answer the question I've been getting: there is only one book!
>> The two covers don't mean there are two editions; it's just the result
>> of a time-lag in getting the new cover out.
>>
>> All printed copies have the new cover.

> Amazing: we're living in web 2.0 times and a printed book is more current
> than an online medium. =A0I guess this does not happen too often these da=

ys.

And the Amazon page doesn't show the back cover, so it doesn't show my
eloquent blurb, which was edited down to slightly less than a full
sentence! <G>

--=20
Rick DeNatale

WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/pers...-rick-denatale

Robert Klemme

On 11.06.2009 00:29, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Robert
> Klemme<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 10.06.2009 15:21, David A. Black wrote:

>>> All printed copies have the new cover.

>> Amazing: we're living in web 2.0 times and a printed book is more current
>> than an online medium. I guess this does not happen too often these days.

> And the Amazon page doesn't show the back cover, so it doesn't show my
> eloquent blurb, which was edited down to slightly less than a full
> sentence! <G>

Don't complain - my comment does not even show up in pieces. )