--------------------------------
From: Lori Cole
I am having the same proble, but I am not the computer guru! Iam somewhat computer literate and can do more than usual people.I just need a more simplier explaination for the below. Oranother idea to fix the problem of... 500 Unauthorized relay msgrejected

this was the suggetstion....
My second suggestion is to forgo CDO altogether. There is a greatopen
source .NET mail component called OpenSmtp on sourceforge.net. Wedid have
to change HELO to EHLO on one of our projects to get mailrelaying outside
the domain (more a network admin power play than anything else).This was a
simple matter of finding the line in source that has HELO andchanging to
EHLO. Everything worked great after that.

OpenSmtp allows you to set up authentication rather easily. Bestto have the
network admins create an account for sending email that isrestricted from
doing other things in the domain as it reduces any potentialsecurity risk.
You will need them to help set up the proper relay for your SMTPservice to
Exchange (et al), if you are relaying in this manner, so they canbe a great
resource for you.

-----------------------

<Id>2z/0cdmjCUK4M1z7bgVUGQ==</Id>

bruce barker

to send internet mail, you client code needs to start a dialog with a mail
server, a SMTP server. .net's System.Web.Mail library uses the win2000 CDO
client library to talk to a SMTP server. sending mail thru a SMTP server is
called relaying, because the SMTP just sends the mail to another SMTP server
closer to the destination.

In the old days, you just had to know the servers name, and send the message
over tcp/ip. In todays worlkd of spam, they have gotten a lot fussier. Most
use some sort of Authentication protocol. Some may even change the SMTP
protocol (changing the HELO command to EHLO), changing port number,
restricting to known ipaddresses, etc, in order to make unauthorized use
harder.

what to do:

1) you need to find out the details of the smtp server you are going to use:

ipaddess
port number
authenication scheme, authenication parmeters (user / password,
certificate, whatever they want)
any change in smtp protocol.
any other restrictions

2) you need to find client code that supports the smtp server you are using.
the .net built in smtp mail client does not support authenication. you can
call the CDO com object library directly which will allow adding
authenication headers for some SMTP servers (ones that support basic)

3) configure the client code to talk to the smtp server. this will depend on
which client code library you use.

note: a common trick is to install the iis smtp server (on your web server),
set it up to relay to the actual smtp server, and send mail to it.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Lori Cole via .NET 247" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
(Type your message here)