Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] The "Ruby Best Practices" Collaborative Blog

[ANN] The "Ruby Best Practices" Collaborative Blog

Gregory Brown

Hi folks,

This is a one-time announcement about yet another blog project of mine...

=3D=3D What =3D=3D

A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. It is
now live at:

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

=3D=3D Who =3D=3D

For starters, I went with an 8 person core group, which aside from
myself includes:

James Britt, Kirk Haines, Robert Klemme, Jeremy McAnally, Sean
O=92Halpin, Magnus Holm and Lakshan Perera

=3D=3D Why =3D=3D

You can read more about the details of the blog and each of these folks at:

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/about/

But the general idea is that we want to provide great content that
helps folks get better at Ruby while still keeping the focus on real
world problems. We also want to have a lot of fun, too!

Please enjoy the new blog, and get involved in the conversations that
crop up as we continue to write new content. We will also begin
accepting articles from casual contributors, so keep an eye out for an
announcement about how that will work.

-greg

--=20
BOOK: http://rubybestpractices.com
TECH: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com
NON-TECH: http://metametta.blogspot.com

Ben Lovell

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Gregory Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> This is a one-time announcement about yet another blog project of mine...
>
> == What ==
>
> A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
> collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. It is
> now live at:
>
> http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Awesome... subscribed.

Ben

James Gray

On Apr 14, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Gregory Brown wrote:

> A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
> collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. It is
> now live at:
>
> http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

This is already shaping up to be a must-read, with only two real
content posts so far. I really hope the trend continues.

My only complaint is the lack of a <title> tag on the home page. I
had to make up a title when I bookmarked it.

James Edward Gray II

Martin DeMello

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Gregory Brown
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This is a one-time announcement about yet another blog project of mine...
>
> =3D=3D What =3D=3D
>
> A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
> collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. =A0 It is
> now live at:
>
> http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Looks excellent!

martin

Gregory Brown

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:24 PM, James Gray <(E-Mail Removed)> wr=
ote:

> My only complaint is the lack of a <title> tag on the home page. =A0I had=

> make up a title when I bookmarked it.

This should be fixed now, thanks.

-greg

--=20
BOOK: http://rubybestpractices.com
TECH: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com
NON-TECH: http://metametta.blogspot.com

Chuck Remes

On Apr 14, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Gregory Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:24 PM, James Gray <(E-Mail Removed)
> > wrote:

>> My only complaint is the lack of a <title> tag on the home page. I
>> had to
>> make up a title when I bookmarked it.

> This should be fixed now, thanks.

For those of us who read via RSS, it would be great if you either
published the entire article to the news stream OR put a "more..."
link into the summary so it is obvious there is more text.

cr

Gregory Brown

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Chuck Remes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For those of us who read via RSS, it would be great if you either published
> the entire article to the news stream OR put a "more..." link into the
> summary so it is obvious there is more text.

Well, the summaries are completely independent from the text, so it
should be pretty obvious over time. I thought about full text
streams, but I don't trust the content to display properly that way.

-greg

Ben Lovell

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Gregory Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Chuck Remes <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > For those of us who read via RSS, it would be great if you either

> published
> > the entire article to the news stream OR put a "more..." link into the
> > summary so it is obvious there is more text.

> Well, the summaries are completely independent from the text, so it
> should be pretty obvious over time. I thought about full text
> streams, but I don't trust the content to display properly that way.

There are literally *stacks* of other technical blogs that display their
contents correctly via feeds. What problem do you foresee?

I would prefer to read the full text via RSS if possible.

Great work otherwise!

Aapo Lehtinen

Martin DeMello kirjoitti viestiss=E4=E4n (l=E4hetysaika tiistai, 14. huhtik=
uuta 2009=20
16:49:03):
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Gregory Brown
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > This is a one-time announcement about yet another blog project of mine.=

=2E.

> > =3D=3D What =3D=3D
> >
> > A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
> > collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. =A0 It is
> > now live at:
> >
> > http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

> Looks excellent!
>
> martin

Agreed, not too web2point0

Tony Arcieri

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Ben Lovell <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

> There are literally *stacks* of other technical blogs that display their
> contents correctly via feeds. What problem do you foresee?
>
> I would prefer to read the full text via RSS if possible.

Yes, agreed. If the full text isn't in the RSS feed I typically won't
bother reading it.

I read many technical blogs with rich formatting and it's preserved just
fine in my RSS reader.

--
Tony Arcieri
medioh.com