Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > What is Ruby's Contribution to Programming?

What is Ruby's Contribution to Programming?

kun

Hi,
I am just learning this awesome language Ruby and entering the
languages field. I just wanted to know what are the new innovations
that the Ruby Language contributed to Programming in general?

Sincerely,
Kunjan.

Phlip

kun wrote:
> Hi,
> I am just learning this awesome language Ruby and entering the
> languages field. I just wanted to know what are the new innovations
> that the Ruby Language contributed to Programming in general?

Almost none. What it really did is put...

- OO
- dynamic typing
- block closures & iterators
- lean hashes & aggregates
- reflection
- metaclasses & extension
- exceptions & continuations

....all together in a system with just the slickest possible syntax. None of
those things were glued on as afterthoughts. This allows us to exploit the most
advanced programming techniques, typically more easily than primitive systems.

Luc Heinrich

On 24 mars 09, at 15:06, Phlip wrote:

> - OO
> - dynamic typing