Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby GUI Libs

Ruby GUI Libs

ntwrkd

Is there a nicer GUI framework for Ruby other than RubyGoo?
I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but has anyone used QT for
their GUI library with Ruby?

Also, what is the best way to bundle a Ruby app into an executable
installer for Mac/PC/Linux?

Shawn Anderson

rubygoo is made as an add-on to rubygame or gosu. There are way better
toolkits for doing general application development. Take a look at
monkeybars, shoes, or other bindings wx, fx, tk, and yes, I think there are
qt bindings.

/Shawn

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 1:14 PM, ntwrkd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a nicer GUI framework for Ruby other than RubyGoo?
> I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but has anyone used QT for
> their GUI library with Ruby?
>
> Also, what is the best way to bundle a Ruby app into an executable
> installer for Mac/PC/Linux?

Pierre Pierre

If you are looking for a desktop app GUI library, I'd suggest wxRuby2.
If you are looking for a lib to make some cool/funny looking app, I'd
then suggest Shoes.

Though, I'm suggesting these two, because these are the two I like to
use!

Philippe Lang

ntwrkd wrote:

> Is there a nicer GUI framework for Ruby other than RubyGoo?

Hi,

Have a look at FXRuby, here: http://www.fxruby.com

It works just great for us.

Regards,

Philippe

Stefano Crocco

Alle Saturday 21 March 2009, ntwrkd ha scritto:
> I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but has anyone used QT for
> their GUI library with Ruby?

If you mean Qt (http://www.qtsoftware.com, I believe QT stands for QuickTime),
then yes. I'm using it and find it great. I started using Qt programming in
C++ and went on using it when I switched to ruby.

You can find more information on the Qt ruby bindings at its rubyforge page
(http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum) or at its homepage
(http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Ruby).

The only problem is that there hasn't been an official, stand-alone release of
QtRuby for linux for the last 3 years and for windows since june 2008. If
you're on linux and use KDE 4, you can install a much more recent (and
improved) version using the KDE 4 packages provided by your distribution; if
you're on linux but don't use KDE, you can download the source code for
kdebindings from the kde home page and compile it, excluding all KDE parts. I
think you can do something similar even if you're on windows, but I don't know
how to do that, since I don't use windows.

Stefano

Eric Jacoboni

Stefano Crocco <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> If you mean Qt (http://www.qtsoftware.com, I believe QT stands for QuickTime),
> then yes.

Nope. Qt isn't related to QuickTime at all. Qt is the Trolltech toolkit (used
by KDE desktop).

Stefano Crocco

Alle Monday 23 March 2009, Eric Jacoboni ha scritto:
> Stefano Crocco <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > If you mean Qt (http://www.qtsoftware.com, I believe QT stands for
> > QuickTime), then yes.

> Nope. Qt isn't related to QuickTime at all. Qt is the Trolltech toolkit
> (used by KDE desktop).

I know. What I meant (and reading that sentence again, I understand it is not
very clear) is that I believe QT (both capital letters) means QuickTime, while
Qt (only capital Q) is the Trolltech toolkit of which I speak in the rest of
my post.

Stefano

richard.j.dale@gmail.com

On Mar 23, 10:23*am, Stefano Crocco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Alle Saturday 21 March 2009, ntwrkd ha scritto:
>
> > I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but has anyone used QT for
> > their GUI library with Ruby?

> If you mean Qt (http://www.qtsoftware.com, I believe QT stands for QuickTime),
> then yes. I'm using it and find it great. I started using Qt programming in
> C++ and went on using it when I switched to ruby.
>
> You can find more information on the Qt ruby bindings at its rubyforge page
> (http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum) or at its homepage
> (http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Ruby).
>
> The only problem is that there hasn't been an official, stand-alone release of
> QtRuby for linux for the last 3 years and for windows since june 2008. If
> you're on linux and use KDE 4, you can install a much more recent (and
> improved) version using the KDE 4 packages provided by your distribution;if
> you're on linux but don't use KDE, you can download the source code for
> kdebindings from the kde home page and compile it, excluding all KDE parts. I
> think you can do something similar even if you're on windows, but I don'tknow
> how to do that, since I don't use windows.

I do intend to do a new release 'real soon now', QtRuby 2.x really is
ready now and I just need to package it up and put it on the RubyForge
site. The have been a lot of improvements as Stefano says and a new
release is certainly long overdue.

-- Richard

Jan Pilz

We're using QtRuby bindings 1.4.10 on Windows and Linux and it works
very good for us
I don't know whats the big difference between 1.4 and 2.x and im ready
to create a new Windows gem when qtruby 2.x is released

--
Otto Software Partner GmbH

Jan Pilz (e-mail: (E-Mail Removed))

Tel. 0351/49723202, Fax: 0351/49723119
01067 Dresden, Freiberger Straße 35 - AG Dresden, HRB 2475
Geschäftsführer: Burkhard Arrenberg, Jens Gruhl

Reid Thompson

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 05:14 +0900, ntwrkd wrote:
> Is there a nicer GUI framework for Ruby other than RubyGoo?
> I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but has anyone used QT for
> their GUI library with Ruby?
>
> Also, what is the best way to bundle a Ruby app into an executable
> installer for Mac/PC/Linux?

there is also
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/