Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > problem installing mysql gem

problem installing mysql gem

Joey Marino

For some reason I can't get mysql gem installed. I have the libmysqlclient
and mysql-server and mysql-client installed, but it doesn't work. I am
running ubuntu 8.10. Am I missing a required package I don't know about?
What am I doing wrong?

Here is the output:

joey@lab:~/Projects/rets$ sudo gem install mysql
ERROR: Error installing mysql:

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb install mysql
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

When I try to use the --with-mysqlclientlib conf option, I get this output:

joey@lab:~/Projects/rets$ sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysqlclientlib
ERROR: Error installing mysql:

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb install mysql -- --with-mysqlclientlib
checking for mysql_query() in -ltrue... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -ltrue... no
checking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -ltrue... no
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for mysql_query() in -ltrue... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -ltrue... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options

see how it changes from -lmysqlclient to -ltrue?
--
Joey Marino