Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Priorities for JRuby 1.3

Priorities for JRuby 1.3

Charles Oliver Nutter

Radosław Bułat wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> * Ruby execution performance (how fast do you want it?)

> JRuby is very fast in micro benchmark but it doesn't run so well rails
> (at least last time I checked it). Maybe you can investigate more what
> hangs jruby in rails from running at the same level as jruby vs MRI
> 1.8 in micro benchmark?

I'm hopeful that we've solved that. There are lingering issues that keep
AR from being faster than MRI (a major one is the lack of unix sockets
for JDBC, which does help keep MRI ahead), but for some internal
benchmarks we've run we're finally looking like 10-20% faster for most
things. And of course as applications get more complex and have more
user code, we pull away due to faster core classes and execution speed.

But of course we're interested in user stories to know where to focus
Rails-related perf work in the future.

- Charlie

Charles Oliver Nutter

Ken Bloom wrote:
> I use Debian, who included 1.8.7 in their recent stable release, so most
> of my code is being targeted to 1.8.7 these days. While I understand (and
> agree with) philosophically the argument against making 1.8.7 to begin
> with, once it's out and once it's the default on my platform, then that's
> what I'm targeting.
>
> If you're doing 1.9 libraries anyway, then I imagine it's relatively easy
> to create a 1.8.7 compatibility mode by shaking up the list of what
> methods are included in what classes under what circumstances. Right? If
> so, then do it. (I imagine it wouldn't kill the 1.8.6 compatibility mode,
> right?)
>
> If it's really hard, and I'm the only voice talking, then maybe it's not

Well, here's the deal. You're right that a lot of the work *may* already
be there, and maybe just needs to be rewired. The biggest thing that
keeps me personally from wanting to support 1.8.7 is a lack of RubySpecs
for the new and modified features. Anyone interested in 1.8.7 support in
JRuby should register their vote by contributing 1.8.7 feature specs.

> * "Compiler #2" to produce normal Java classes from Ruby
>
> This would be really cool. I had been using Groovy for this purpose some
> time ago, but ran away because it was slow (a problem that has since been
> mostly solved) and has confusing semantics (a problem that may never be
> fixed, since GPath seems to be their major selling point)

Yeah, I have a general idea how it will work in my head, and it's always
been doable. I had to open my big mouth and offer it as a 1.3
feature...just about everyone has asked for it now.

> * Improvements to AOT compilation (all-at-once, eliminate runtime codegen)
>
> I'm not sure what you have in mind here.

Currently when you AOT compile Ruby code, there's still some code
generated at runtime. This means you can't AOT compile to put on a
mobile device or in an unsigned applet, and you're force to interpret in
those cases. This work would make AOT compilation more "complete", doing
that additional bit of code generation at the same time.

- Charlie

Charles Oliver Nutter

John Wells wrote:
> My vote is for these two...better Java integration would mean my company
> could take our current three language environment (java, ruby and groovy) to
> two...

Well, that's certainly motivation for us

- Charlie

Chauk-Mean Proum

Hi,

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> With JRuby 1.2 almost out the door, we should talk a bit about where to
> go with JRuby 1.3. There's always more work to do, but in this case
> there's a few directions we could probably go.

* More Java integration with Ruby style :

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-3443

* And what about win32ole support in JRuby ?

I really miss this support in order to automate Windows application.
I currently use MRI for this task.

Cheers.

Chauk-Mean.

Thomas Enebo

Chauk-Mean Proum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>
>> With JRuby 1.2 almost out the door, we should talk a bit about where to
>> go with JRuby 1.3. There's always more work to do, but in this case
>> there's a few directions we could probably go.
>>

> * More Java integration with Ruby style :
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-3443
>
> * And what about win32ole support in JRuby ?
>
> I really miss this support in order to automate Windows application.
> I currently use MRI for this task.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Chauk-Mean.

I made something which uses the Jacob library which seems to be mildly
compatible with win32ole (I had a script I had written against win32ole
and it continued to work with JRuby). I will do a quick stab at
landing something really really preliminary for JRuby 1.3. We can
figure out what is missing at that point and probably start trying to
support this library in more earnest.

-Tom

Thomas Enebo

John Wells wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter <
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> * More Java integration refactoring (esp. subclassing)
>> * "Compiler #2" to produce normal Java classes from Ruby
>>

> My vote is for these two...better Java integration would mean my company
> could take our current three language environment (java, ruby and groovy) to
> two...
>
> John

Can I ask which specific features of Java integration are holding you
back? For example, are you missing annotation support? We have
talked about compiler #2 for a long time, now but it would be cool to
get better real-world use-cases...

-Tom

Chauk-Mean Proum

Thomas Enebo wrote:

> I made something which uses the Jacob library which seems to be mildly
> compatible with win32ole (I had a script I had written against win32ole
> and it continued to work with JRuby). I will do a quick stab at
> landing something really really preliminary for JRuby 1.3. We can
> figure out what is missing at that point and probably start trying to
> support this library in more earnest.

That's a very good news.

Cheers.

Chauk-Mean.