Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Hi..About Gsoc 2009 project ideas...

Hi..About Gsoc 2009 project ideas...

usw wickramasinghe

Hi,

I'm an Computer Science Undergraduate who is currently undergoing training
and engaged n the field of Open Source SOA products n development. I've
recently done project work in the area of WS Security (WS [Web Services]
Policy derivation from SOAP messages n some OSGI component[WSO2 Carbon
platform] implementatons around that..) and have some knowlege on WS
security implementations.

Also i've recently been working on deploying Ruby
Services on Apache Axis2 Engine using JRuby frame work..I Would really like
to participate in a Ruby project for GSoc 2009 n would like to have some
project ideas to be heard from Ruby people..One of the things i'm really
interested in doing is to develop a Ruby Annotation framework
(DSL/parser)for a given spec as ruby currently doesn't support this behavior
very well. For my opinion this will be really important for WebServices and
related stuff as i my self has come across difficulties in not being able
to use a proper annotation framework as available in Java or C++. I'm still
pretty much new to ruby n it's aspects and hence doesn't know how feasible
this is or the scope of this n really appreciate if you all could enlighten
me on this . Also i'm open to other project ideas as well and again
appreciate your kind reponse. Thnx in advance..

Thnx,
Udayanga Shaminda Wickramasinghe

usw wickramasinghe

Hi,
Just thought of asking about how the things are going on with 2009 GSoc
project proposals for Ruby .However i'm not too sure whether this is the
exact mail list ,where new ideas should be discussed regarding GSoc 09. If
someone has an idea please provide me with your kind feed back. I would
really appreciate your thoughts regarding my previous mail as well , if
possible. Thnx in advance...

Udayanga Wickramsinghe

pat eyler

Actually, instead of posting off on the urug list, I'd still recommend
discussing it here (or in a ruby brigade list/meeting closer to your
home).

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:29 PM, usw wickramasinghe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thnx Roger for your kind suggestion. However Pat Eyler suggested me to po=

st
> my idea here when i first contacted him. Neverthless i'll post my request
> there =A0as well. Thnx again for your feedback..
> Regards ,
> Udayanga

--=20
thanks,
-pate
-------------------------
Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
http://eldersjournal.blogspot.com

Roger Pack

> me on this . Also i'm open to other project ideas as well and again
> appreciate your kind reponse. Thnx in advance..

If you just want ideas here are a few [or anybody else can contribute
ideas if you've thought of something once that you would put a bounty
our for].

1) mod_rails: integrate jruby with it somehow. Beef it up with a few of
its most starred wish list items [1]. My own favorite would be Make
RailsMaxPoolSize Vhost than Global

2) experiment with the MRI garbage collector, see what settings are good
with what, create getters/setters for it [2]. Could profile it with the
Ruby Benchmark Suite [3].

3) Try to optimize rails. I.e. look for bottlenecks and try and clear
them up with quality LRU cacheing or prepared statements or something

4) ruby 1.9 quality debugger. ruby-debug is currently only 1.8.x compat,
I believe. I'm actually not sure if this is totally possible, but some
parts of it are probably 1.9 compatible.

5) "pie in the sky" psyco for ruby implement an LLVM JIT for Ruby.

Speaking of which I wish that the Google Summer of Code people somehow
were more transparent--like they had to post a result of their work to
at least ruby talk or something.

Cheers!
-=r

[1] http://code.google.com/p/phusion-passenger/issues/list
[2] http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/1047
[3] http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-...rk-suite?pli=1

Charles Oliver Nutter

Roger Pack wrote:
>> me on this . Also i'm open to other project ideas as well and aga=

in
>> appreciate your kind reponse. Thnx in advance..

>=20
> If you just want ideas here are a few [or anybody else can contribu=

te=20
> ideas if you've thought of something once that you would put a boun=

ty=20
> our for].
>=20
> 1) mod_rails: integrate jruby with it somehow. Beef it up with a f=

ew of=20
> its most starred wish list items [1]. My own favorite would be Mak=

e=20
> RailsMaxPoolSize Vhost than Global

This actually could be fun and easier than the Passenger to wire up f=
or=20
someone who knows Apache well. People have been running fast proxies =
to=20
JVM-based servers for a decade using plugins like mod_jk and friends.=
It=20
wouldn't take much effort to wire in the process management + somethi=
ng=20
like GlassFish gem and have it as drop-in-easy as Passenger is now.

> 4) ruby 1.9 quality debugger. ruby-debug is currently only 1.8.x co=

mpat,=20
> I believe. I'm actually not sure if this is totally possible, but =

some=20
> parts of it are probably 1.9 compatible.

I'd like to see someone work on a debugger that takes advantage of JR=
uby=20
compiling to JVM bytecode. The basic pieces are all there; all that's=
=20
really needed is a nice UI:

~/projects/jruby =E2=9E=94 cat test.rb
puts 1
puts 2
puts 3

~/projects/jruby =E2=9E=94 jruby --jdb test.rb
Initializing jdb ...
> stop at test:1

Deferring breakpoint test:1.
It will be set after the class is loaded.
> run

run org.jruby.Main test.rb
Set uncaught java.lang.Throwable
Set deferred uncaught java.lang.Throwable

VM Started: Set deferred breakpoint test:1

Breakpoint hit: "thread=3Dmain", test.__file__(), line=3D1 bci=3D12
1 puts 1

main[1] list
1 =3D> puts 1
2 puts 2
3 puts 3
main[1]

- Charlie

Roger Pack

> 5) "pie in the sky" psyco for ruby implement an LLVM JIT for Ruby.

I wonder if you could do this for Rubinius, too.
-=r

Charles Oliver Nutter

Roger Pack wrote:
>> 5) "pie in the sky" psyco for ruby implement an LLVM JIT for Ruby.

> I wonder if you could do this for Rubinius, too.

Actually right now the closest thing to a fully functional JIT for Ruby
is JRuby. We run almost all Ruby code and tests out there, and after
compiling to Java bytecode the JVM takes that and turns it into native code.

So the lesson is: if you want a native-jitting Ruby impl to run your
apps...use JRuby

- Charlie

usw wickramasinghe

Hi,

Firstly i would like to thank Pat, Roger and Oliver for your kind thoughts
on Gsoc Ideas.
Regarding the ideas,

i like the ideas of integrating jruby with mod_rails , and ruby 1.9
debugger, but i need to go into more detail of the problem as i do not have
clear cut understanding of these scenarios(especially about Phusion
Passenger). If anyone has a JIRA link or blog post or any other link pls be
kind enough to post here..Obviously i'll have to do some research as well as
i'm still pretty much new to ruby and it's frameworks..

Also i would like to know any suggestions/views on ruby annotation
framework that i have previously mentioned.
I don't know how exactly Gsoc ideas are being put up for Ruby.. whether do
we have to contact Ruby Central or they'll be selecting prospective ideas
given by ruby community. I would really appreciate if anyone could enlighten
me on the above . Thnx again for the thoughts you have rendered.

Best Regards
-Udayanga

Roger Pack

> i like the ideas of integrating jruby with mod_rails , and ruby 1.9
> debugger, but i need to go into more detail of the problem as i do not
> have
> clear cut understanding of these scenarios(especially about Phusion
> Passenger). If anyone has a JIRA link or blog post or any other link pls
> be
> kind enough to post here..Obviously i'll have to do some research as
> well as
> i'm still pretty much new to ruby and it's frameworks..

here's a link to some mod_rails stuffs:
http://code.google.com/p/phusion-passenger/issues/list

re: 1.9 debugger not sure. Looks like it might be hard.

what do you mean by annotation framework?

Cheers!
-=r

> Also i would like to know any suggestions/views on ruby annotation
> framework that i have previously mentioned.
> I don't know how exactly Gsoc ideas are being put up for Ruby.. whether
> do
> we have to contact Ruby Central or they'll be selecting prospective
> ideas
> given by ruby community. I would really appreciate if anyone could
> enlighten
> me on the above . Thnx again for the thoughts you have rendered.
>
> Best Regards
> -Udayanga

Roger Pack

> project ideas to be heard from Ruby people..One of the things i'm really
> interested in doing is to develop a Ruby Annotation framework
> (DSL/parser)for a given spec as ruby currently doesn't support this
> behavior

Another few ideas would be:

porting java's testng to ruby [or would that be useful--I suppose
test/unit and minitest are pretty good]

porting python's process module to ruby. Perhaps using the python apr
to get cross platform goodness.

Thoughts?
-=r