Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN/ADV] Sample Chapter from "Ruby Best Practices"

[ANN/ADV] Sample Chapter from "Ruby Best Practices"

Gregory Brown

== The short story

Hi folks, I bugged O'Reilly to let me release a sample chapter of my
book, and they let me.

So you can now directly download a PDF copy of my "Mastering the
Dynamic Toolkit" chapter without having to go through any hoops:

http://cachefly.oreilly.com/catalogs...ic_Toolkit.pdf

== For a little background on RBP:

This book is aimed mostly at people with a decent technical grasp of
Ruby but not a ton of practical experience. The goal is to show how
to attack Ruby problems in the way that a seasoned Rubyist might.
Though it might not be suitable for raw beginners, intermediate Ruby
programmers should be able to learn a lot from the book, and strong
Ruby programmers should *enjoy* it. I've put together a great
internal review team to help me make sure I reach this goal, and we
also have Rough Cuts set up for general feedback.

== For a little background on this chapter

In the PDF I linked above, you'll find all sorts of meta-programming
and DSL goodness, if not by name. I try to emphasize how much these
'voodoo' like features can be treated like ordinary Ruby code if you
take some care to do things well.

I chose this chapter to release because it's my favorite. Most of the
other chapters in the book follow the same general format, though.
That means if you like this one, you'll probably enjoy the others as
welll.

== Please help me improve the book!

I still have a few weeks to make revisions, so whether you plan on
buying the book or not, feel free to offer some feedback. I've also
made an agreement with O'Reilly to allow me to release the book under
a creative commons license 9 months after publication.

If after reading the chapter you decide you want to see the whole
thing and offer some suggestion before it goes to print, please buy a
rough cut:

http://rubybestpractices.com

If you want to know exactly what's in the book, you can check out this
blog post:

http://blog.majesticseacreature.com/...ts_in_rbp.html

Anyway, I'll spam the list only twice more, when the book reaches
content completeness (in a few weeks), and when it goes to print
(hopefully in June). I hope you enjoy it!

-greg

James Britt

Gregory Brown wrote:
> == The short story
>
> Hi folks, I bugged O'Reilly to let me release a sample chapter of my
> book, and they let me.
>
> So you can now directly download a PDF copy of my "Mastering the
> Dynamic Toolkit" chapter without having to go through any hoops:
>
> http://cachefly.oreilly.com/catalogs...ic_Toolkit.pdf

Jump on this. It's great stuff.

--
James Britt

pat eyler

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM, James Britt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote=
:
> Gregory Brown wrote:
>>
>> =3D=3D The short story
>>
>> Hi folks, I bugged O'Reilly to let me release a sample chapter of my
>> book, and they let me.
>>
>> So you can now directly download a PDF copy of my "Mastering the
>> Dynamic Toolkit" chapter without having to go through any hoops:
>>
>> http://cachefly.oreilly.com/catalogs...ic_Toolkit.pdf

> Jump on this. =A0It's great stuff.

Seconded, I've seen several of the chapters and talked with Gregory
about this and it's quality.

Ruby books haven't been doing well of late (sales are down 51%
over last year), so it's good to see a good book that the community
can get behind. Maybe this will help reverse the trend.

> --
> James Britt
>
> www.jamesbritt.com =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - Playing with Better Toys
> www.ruby-doc.org =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - Ruby Help & Documentation
> www.rubystuff.com =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0- The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff

--=20
thanks,
-pate
-------------------------
Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
http://eldersjournal.blogspot.com

James Gray

On Feb 26, 2009, at 11:05 AM, pat eyler wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM, James Britt
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Gregory Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> == The short story
>>>
>>> Hi folks, I bugged O'Reilly to let me release a sample chapter of my
>>> book, and they let me.
>>>
>>> So you can now directly download a PDF copy of my "Mastering the
>>> Dynamic Toolkit" chapter without having to go through any hoops:
>>>
>>> http://cachefly.oreilly.com/catalogs...ic_Toolkit.pdf

>> Jump on this. It's great stuff.

> Seconded, I've seen several of the chapters and talked with Gregory
> about this and it's quality.

Agreed. It's been a great project to be an early reviewer on.

James Edward Gray II

Gregory Brown

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Gregory Brown
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> == The short story
>
> Hi folks, I bugged O'Reilly to let me release a sample chapter of my
> book, and they let me.
>
> So you can now directly download a PDF copy of my "Mastering the
> Dynamic Toolkit" chapter without having to go through any hoops:
>
> http://cachefly.oreilly.com/catalogs...ic_Toolkit.pdf

I forgot to mention that for the twitter inclined, you can find book
announcements at:
http://twitter.com/rubypractices

Now I'll really stop with the self-promotion

-greg

Radosław Bułat

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 6:05 PM, pat eyler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ruby books haven't been doing well of late (sales are down 51%
> over last year), so it's good to see a good book that the community
> can get behind. =A0Maybe this will help reverse the trend.

Mu guess is that there are too many books that describe only ruby (as
a language) and rails (I'm pretty sure that there are more books about
rails than ruby itself... - it's paradox ). Gregg's books should be
shiny gem in ruby books land.

--=20
Pozdrawiam

Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at
http://radarek.jogger.pl - m=F3j blog

Antonio Cangiano

2009/2/26 Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> My guess is that there are too many books that describe only ruby (as
> a language) and rails (I'm pretty sure that there are more books about
> rails than ruby itself... - it's paradox ). Gregg's books should be
> shiny gem in ruby books land.

IMHO, "Design Patterns in Ruby" by Russ Olsen is another shiny gem.

Cheers,
Antonio
--=20
http://antoniocangiano.com - Zen and the Art of Programming
http://math-blog.com - Mathematics is wonderful!
http://stacktrace.it - Aperiodico di resistenza informatica
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/acangiano
Recently completed "Ruby on Rails for Microsoft Developers" for Wrox.

James Gray

On Feb 26, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Antonio Cangiano wrote:

> 2009/2/26 Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> My guess is that there are too many books that describe only ruby (as
>> a language) and rails (I'm pretty sure that there are more books =20
>> about
>> rails than ruby itself... - it's paradox ). Gregg's books should be
>> shiny gem in ruby books land.

> IMHO, "Design Patterns in Ruby" by Russ Olsen is another shiny gem.

I agree:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/arti...tterns_in_ruby

James Edward Gray II=

Gregory Brown

2009/2/26 James Gray <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> On Feb 26, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Antonio Cangiano wrote:
>
>> 2009/2/26 Rados=B3aw Bu=B3at <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>>
>>> My guess is that there are too many books that describe only ruby (as
>>> a language) and rails (I'm pretty sure that there are more books about
>>> rails than ruby itself... - it's paradox ). Gregg's books should be
>>> shiny gem in ruby books land.

>> IMHO, "Design Patterns in Ruby" by Russ Olsen is another shiny gem.

> I agree:
>
> http://blog.grayproductions.net/arti...tterns_in_ruby

I've really been wanting to read that book. It sounds awesome.

-greg

pat eyler

2009/2/26 Gregory Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> 2009/2/26 James Gray <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>> IMHO, "Design Patterns in Ruby" by Russ Olsen is another shiny gem.

>> I agree:
>>
>> http://blog.grayproductions.net/arti...tterns_in_ruby

> I've really been wanting to read that book. =A0It sounds awesome.

It is pretty awesome. If you want a short taste, here's the interview I
did with Russ:

http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2008/01/...interview.html

> -greg

--=20