Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Religious discussion

Religious discussion

Julian Leviston

Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a
good way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about
religion on this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.

Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think
about our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and
especially if it's on-topic.

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

Kyle Schmitt

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Julian Leviston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a good
> way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about religion on
> this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.
>
> Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think about
> our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and especially if it's
> on-topic.
>
> Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
> Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
OO vs functional?

Vladimir Fekete

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:12:26AM +0900, Kyle Schmitt wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Julian Leviston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a good
> > way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about religion on
> > this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.
> >
> > Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think about
> > our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and especially if it's
> > on-topic.
> >
> > Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
> > Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

> But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
> vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
> OO vs functional?

maybe he had in mind that it is not appropriate for this mailing list and
for such high philosophic problems another mailing list should be created

pat eyler

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Kyle Schmitt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Julian Leviston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a good
>> way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about religion on
>> this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.
>>
>> Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think about
>> our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and especially if it's
>> on-topic.
>>
>> Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
>> Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

> But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
> vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
> OO vs functional?

emacs vs vi(m)?

--
thanks,
-pate

pat eyler

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Chad Perrin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:22:39AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:
>>
>> emacs vs vi(m)?

> Only the emacs side is religious:
>
> =A0http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/
>
> The vi side is a gang:
>
> =A0http://www.homebrew.net/visign/
>
> /me throws the vi gang sign.

and I know that someday you'll repent.

;^)

> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
> Quoth McCloctnick the Lucid: "The first rule of magic is simple. Don't
> waste your time waving your hands and hopping when a rock or a club will
> do."

--=20
thanks,
-pate
-------------------------
Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
http://eldersjournal.blogspot.com

dustin b

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Chad Perrin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:37:54AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Chad Perrin <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:

> > > Only the emacs side is religious:
> > >
> > > http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/
> > >
> > > The vi side is a gang:
> > >
> > > http://www.homebrew.net/visign/
> > >
> > > /me throws the vi gang sign.

> > and I know that someday you'll repent.

> I'm editor-agnostic. Well, technically, I guess I'm more of an
> editor-taoist. Editaoist? Anyway, the upshot is that I can see how your
> religious interpretation is a valid perspective on reality, even if it is
> kind of limited.
>
> After all, emacs is a halfway decent OS. Some people claim it lacks a
> decent editor, but I disagree -- Viper is an excellent editor.
>
> What it *does* lack is a decent bootloader.
>
> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
> Quoth Anonymous: "Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator
> of human intelligence."

I always thought Pico was a great editor.
Also "Git sucks" ...please don't hurt me!! (
http://www.netsplit.com/2009/02/17/git-sucks/)

Joel VanderWerf

pat eyler wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Chad Perrin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:22:39AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:
>>> emacs vs vi(m)?

>> Only the emacs side is religious:
>>
>> http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/
>>
>> The vi side is a gang:
>>
>> http://www.homebrew.net/visign/
>>
>> /me throws the vi gang sign.

> and I know that someday you'll repent.

Those of us who have reached nirvana[1] look upon your conflict with
tolerance and hope.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEdit