Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > ask ri for the other squeeze

ask ri for the other squeeze

matt neuburg

First off, may I say that ri, with its recent improvements, is now
useful to me for the first time since I started using ruby? With the
spaces after the commas, the listing of a class's superclass, the
ability to search up the class hierarchy, and so forth, I can now
usually find what I'm looking for and read the result.

That said, there remain a few edge cases on my machine where ri seems to
break down. An example is String#squeeze, which comes up with an empty

--------------------------------------------------------- String#squeeze
squeeze(del=nil)

From /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/site/String/cdesc-String.yaml
[no description]

There is, however, another String#squeeze that *does* have a
description. Where there's a choice like this, I'd like to see the one
with the description. I can say:

$ ri --no-site String#squeeze

and that does work, but it also causes a huge delay both now while the
cache is rebuilt and on the next ri search without --no-site while the
cache is rebuilt *again*. What I'd really like is syntax for choosing
between different String#squeeze. For example, maybe the -i interactive
option could give me the ability to enter numbers?

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leop...stomizing.html

badboy

matt neuburg schrieb:
> First off, may I say that ri, with its recent improvements, is now
> useful to me for the first time since I started using ruby? With the
> spaces after the commas, the listing of a class's superclass, the
> ability to search up the class hierarchy, and so forth, I can now
> usually find what I'm looking for and read the result.
>
> That said, there remain a few edge cases on my machine where ri seems to
> break down. An example is String#squeeze, which comes up with an empty
>
> --------------------------------------------------------- String#squeeze
> squeeze(del=nil)
>
> From /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/site/String/cdesc-String.yaml
> [no description]
>
> There is, however, another String#squeeze that *does* have a
> description. Where there's a choice like this, I'd like to see the one
> with the description. I can say:
>
> $ ri --no-site String#squeeze
>
> and that does work, but it also causes a huge delay both now while the
> cache is rebuilt and on the next ri search without --no-site while the
> cache is rebuilt *again*. What I'd really like is syntax for choosing
> between different String#squeeze. For example, maybe the -i interactive
> option could give me the ability to enter numbers?
>
> m.

hm...I have no problems with String#squeeze
not for ruby 1.8.7 nor for 1.9.1

but I prefer fastri over ri, because....it's *faster* =D
http://eigenclass.org/hiki/fastri

Roger Pack

> but I prefer fastri over ri, because....it's *faster* =D
> http://eigenclass.org/hiki/fastri

Note also that you can lookup things in irb

irb(main):002:0> help "String#chars"
----------------------------------------------------------- String#chars
str.chars => anEnumerator
str.chars {|substr| block } => str
Returns an enumerator that gives each character in the string. If a
block is given, it iterates over each character in the string.

"foo".chars.to_a #=> ["f","o","o"]

=> nil
irb(main):003:0>

matt neuburg

badboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> matt neuburg schrieb:
> > First off, may I say that ri, with its recent improvements, is now
> > useful to me for the first time since I started using ruby? With the
> > spaces after the commas, the listing of a class's superclass, the
> > ability to search up the class hierarchy, and so forth, I can now
> > usually find what I'm looking for and read the result.
> >
> > That said, there remain a few edge cases on my machine where ri seems to
> > break down. An example is String#squeeze, which comes up with an empty
> >
> > --------------------------------------------------------- String#squeeze
> > squeeze(del=nil)
> >
> > From /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/site/String/cdesc-String.yaml
> > [no description]
> >
> > There is, however, another String#squeeze that *does* have a
> > description. Where there's a choice like this, I'd like to see the one
> > with the description. I can say:
> >
> > $ ri --no-site String#squeeze
> >
> > and that does work, but it also causes a huge delay both now while the
> > cache is rebuilt and on the next ri search without --no-site while the
> > cache is rebuilt *again*. What I'd really like is syntax for choosing
> > between different String#squeeze. For example, maybe the -i interactive
> > option could give me the ability to enter numbers?
> >
> > m.
> >

> hm...I have no problems with String#squeeze
> not for ruby 1.8.7 nor for 1.9.1
>
> but I prefer fastri over ri, because....it's *faster*

Faster, but long ago broken OMM. It stopped working one day (after a
rdoc update, I think) and just never worked again. It doesn't look very
supported and I assume it is no longer maintained...?

I am still back at 1.8.6.

$ qri String
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `transfer': invalid subclass
(TypeError)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `node_import'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/ri/ri_descriptions.rb:72:in
`deserialize'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fastri/ri_index.rb:354:in
`get_class'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fastri/ri_index.rb:354:in
`open'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fastri/ri_index.rb:354:in
`get_class'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fastri/ri_index.rb:352:in
`each'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fastri/ri_index.rb:352:in
`get_class'
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fastri/ri_service.rb:209:in `info'
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fastri/ri_service.rb:422:in
`capture_stdout'
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/fastri/ri_service.rb:208:in `info'
from /usr/local/bin/qri:342
from /usr/local/bin/qri:337:in `each'
from /usr/local/bin/qri:337

--
matt neuburg, phd = (E-Mail Removed), http://www.tidbits.com/matt/

Roger Pack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > but I prefer fastri over ri, because....it's *faster* =D
> > http://eigenclass.org/hiki/fastri

> Note also that you can lookup things in irb
>
> irb(main):002:0> help "String#chars"
> ----------------------------------------------------------- String#chars
> str.chars => anEnumerator
> str.chars {|substr| block } => str
> Returns an enumerator that gives each character in the string. If a
> block is given, it iterates over each character in the string.
>
> "foo".chars.to_a #=> ["f","o","o"]

But what I asked about was String.squeeze. Same problem:

irb(main):001:0> help "String#squeeze"
More than one method matched your request. You can refine
your search by asking for information on one of:

String#squeeze!, String#squeeze, String#squeeze!, String#squeeze

Now what? m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = (E-Mail Removed), http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leop...stomizing.html

Roger Pack

> irb(main):001:0> help "String#squeeze"
> More than one method matched your request. You can refine
> your search by asking for information on one of:
>
> String#squeeze!, String#squeeze, String#squeeze!, String#squeeze
>
> Now what? m.

looks like a bug. repost to ruby core?
-=r

Eric Hodel

On Feb 21, 2009, at 10:10, matt neuburg wrote:

> Roger Pack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> but I prefer fastri over ri, because....it's *faster* =D
>>> http://eigenclass.org/hiki/fastri

>> Note also that you can lookup things in irb
>>
>> irb(main):002:0> help "String#chars"
>> String#chars
>> str.chars => anEnumerator
>> str.chars {|substr| block } => str
>> Returns an enumerator that gives each character in the string.
>> If a
>> block is given, it iterates over each character in the string.
>>
>> "foo".chars.to_a #=> ["f","o","o"]

> But what I asked about was String.squeeze. Same problem:
>
> irb(main):001:0> help "String#squeeze"
> More than one method matched your request. You can refine
> your search by asking for information on one of:
>
> String#squeeze!, String#squeeze, String#squeeze!, String#squeeze
>
> Now what? m.

You seem to have two sets of ri data installed. Try locate cdesc-
String.yaml to see where the two sets live, then delete the one
without documentation.

Eric Hodel

On Feb 21, 2009, at 10:10, matt neuburg wrote:

>> but I prefer fastri over ri, because....it's *faster*

> Faster, but long ago broken OMM. It stopped working one day (after a
> rdoc update, I think) and just never worked again. It doesn't look
> very
> supported and I assume it is no longer maintained...?

RDoc 2 has a fast ri, from cache:

$ time ri String#squeeze > /dev/null

real 0m0.398s
user 0m0.339s
sys 0m0.054s

matt neuburg

Eric Hodel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > irb(main):001:0> help "String#squeeze"
> > More than one method matched your request. You can refine
> > your search by asking for information on one of:
> >
> > String#squeeze!, String#squeeze, String#squeeze!, String#squeeze
> >
> > Now what? m.

> You seem to have two sets of ri data installed. Try locate cdesc-
> String.yaml to see where the two sets live, then delete the one
> without documentation.

Good call! That worked. Thanks! m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = (E-Mail Removed), http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leop...stomizing.html

Ryan Davis

On Feb 25, 2009, at 11:29 , Eric Hodel wrote:

> You seem to have two sets of ri data installed. Try locate cdesc-
> String.yaml to see where the two sets live, then delete the one
> without documentation.

maybe our next tweak on `gem check` should do this check too?