Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > what Ruby version to use on Windows for a 1.2.x RoR app?

what Ruby version to use on Windows for a 1.2.x RoR app?

neongrau __

hi there!

this might sound like a rant, but i'm just desperate

i was running my app with ruby 1.8.5p52 for quite a while and the
mongrel processes were quite memory stable as well as the dRB process
for ferret.

the latest security problem wasn't much of an issue since the app only
runs in an intranet environment.

i now tried 1.8.5p231 (the last stable i could find from the 1.8.5
series) because of some supposedly fixed memory leak in "eval" which i
need for a service to peridodically execute some tasks for my RoR app.

e.g.
1000.times {|i|eval("a#{i} = 1")}
leaked memory like hell in 1.8.5p52
while in 1.8.5p231 it seemed totally stable (at least for that snippet).

so i updated the server with that 1.8.5p231 version.
but sadly my service is still leaking memory. even worse: now all
mongrels and the ferret service also leak memory like mad. (each mongrel
eating 300+mb after just 12 hours).

isn't there any memory stable ruby version for windows?

or at least is there a way to reset a ruby process and make it start
itself over? normally i'd be totally against such methods, but since
ruby itself can't run stable i see no other way

PS:
upgrading to RoR 2.x or
moving to Linux is out of the question (trust me, i would if i could)

Roger Pack

> isn't there any memory stable ruby version for windows?

There almost is
the mingw version is faster:
http://www.akitaonrails.com/2008/7/2...uby-on-windows
you can see if it doesn't leak.
If it still does I could possibly build you a 187 with the MBARI patches
for mingw. It might work [the MBARI patches helped me overcome a leak]

-=r

Roger Pack wrote:
>> isn't there any memory stable ruby version for windows?

jruby is also stable there. Note that the 1.9.1p0 binaries compiled
with MSVC leak. [1]
-=r

[1] http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/1164

neongrau __

Roger Pack wrote:
>> isn't there any memory stable ruby version for windows?

> There almost is
> the mingw version is faster:
> http://www.akitaonrails.com/2008/7/2...uby-on-windows
> you can see if it doesn't leak.
> If it still does I could possibly build you a 187 with the MBARI patches
> for mingw. It might work [the MBARI patches helped me overcome a leak]

thanks alot for pointing that out!
i didn't knew there were such ugly problems with ruby just because it
was compiled with VC6. :S

downloaded and installed it today. had to fix 1 or 2 minor glitches in
the app to get it working with 1.8.6.

still too early to say s.th. but looks promising so far.

1.8.7 sadly doesn't work with rails 1.2.x. but out of interest...

what are those MBARI patches? any link?

Roger Pack

> 1.8.7 sadly doesn't work with rails 1.2.x. but out of interest...
>
> what are those MBARI patches? any link?

http://github.com/brentr/matzruby/tree/v1_8_7_72-mbari
Also I...think 1.8.7 works with rails 1.2.x
let me know if you ever need to try
-=r

neongrau __

Roger Pack wrote:

>> 1.8.7 sadly doesn't work with rails 1.2.x. but out of interest...
>>
>> what are those MBARI patches? any link?

> http://github.com/brentr/matzruby/tree/v1_8_7_72-mbari
> Also I...think 1.8.7 works with rails 1.2.x
> let me know if you ever need to try
> -=r

that sounds pretty interesting, it's just that i tried 1.8.7 2 weeks ago
and it didn't work. i kept trying until i somewhere read that 1.8.7
would only work with rails 2.x.

but if you have a binary somewhere i'd give it a try. isn't there any
1.8.6 version with those patches? (especially Patch 3 and 4 sounds
good).

so far the 1.8.6 i'm testing atm seems to be more stable than every
version i ever had. sadly my service still seems to eat a few KB per
hour. not as bad as before, but a leak of 15M per day is still not
acceptable

regards
ralf

Roger Pack

neongrau __ wrote:
> Roger Pack wrote:
>>
>>> 1.8.7 sadly doesn't work with rails 1.2.x. but out of interest...
>>>
>>> what are those MBARI patches? any link?

>> http://github.com/brentr/matzruby/tree/v1_8_7_72-mbari
>> Also I...think 1.8.7 works with rails 1.2.x
>> let me know if you ever need to try
>> -=r

> that sounds pretty interesting, it's just that i tried 1.8.7 2 weeks ago
> and it didn't work. i kept trying until i somewhere read that 1.8.7
> would only work with rails 2.x.
>
> but if you have a binary somewhere i'd give it a try. isn't there any
> 1.8.6 version with those patches? (especially Patch 3 and 4 sounds
> good).

There's a branch that has 1.8.6 with the patches. I believe it's stable
though it hasn't seen as much work as the 1.8.7 line.
here's some refs:
how to build mingw from scratch:
http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tree/master
[run rake]
http://github.com/brentr/matzruby/tree/v1_8_7_72-mbari
look at the other branches.
I may be able to come up with a binary.
-=r

neongrau __

Roger Pack wrote:
> There's a branch that has 1.8.6 with the patches. I believe it's stable
> though it hasn't seen as much work as the 1.8.7 line.
> here's some refs:
> how to build mingw from scratch:
> http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tree/master
> [run rake]
> http://github.com/brentr/matzruby/tree/v1_8_7_72-mbari
> look at the other branches.
> I may be able to come up with a binary.
> -=r

cool, guess i have to get git after all. (i'm still a SVN user)

and don't have any compiler on my XP vmware installation yet.
so i suppose i need to spent some time first to install everything
before i can try that. PITA!

i wonder if it would work to cross-compile from OSX.

but i'll have some extra spare time next weeks anyway, so i now know how
to spend it

ralf

Roger Pack

> and don't have any compiler on my XP vmware installation yet.
> so i suppose i need to spent some time first to install everything
> before i can try that. PITA!

Thanksfully with the oneclick mingw installer you download it and run
rake and it downloads the compiler for you, then uses it to build ruby

> i wonder if it would work to cross-compile from OSX.

http://github.com/luislavena/rake-compiler/tree/master
is an attempt at a helper for cross compiling.

my fork of rubyinstaller works for compiling 186p287 and 186 trunk.
http://github.com/rogerdpack/rubyinstaller/tree/master

You'll want to somehow merge that to brent's 186 branch:
http://github.com/brentr/matzruby/tree/v1_8_6_287-mbari

if I don't get to it first

-=r

neongrau __

i have no experience with git, i just did this:
git clone git://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller.git

cd rubyinstaller
rake

but the promise of just typing "rake" was too good to be true

patching file `lib/webrick/httpservlet/filehandler.rb'
Hunk #1 FAILED at 163.
Hunk #2 succeeded at 216 with fuzz 2 (offset 17 lines).
Hunk #3 FAILED at 290.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 344.
3 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to
lib/webrick/httpservlet/filehandler
rb.rej
patching file `sprintf.c'
patching file `string.c'
rake aborted!
Command failed with status (1):
["C:/tmp/git/rubyinstaller/sandbox/msys/bin...]

guess i need some specific tag/branch/revision i don't know yet. have to
dig into git and figure that out first.