Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > GUI / graphical games: where to start?

GUI / graphical games: where to start?

Aldric Giacomoni

Hi all, I'd like to start getting my hands dirty with some graphical
stuff but I have no idea where to begin - like, for instance, a game of
pong. What libraries/gems are out there to do stuff like that? Do I have
no choice but to use something like rubyfx or the gtk or tk bindings and
then kinda cover it up?
I know I -should- have something and ask for advice but .. I'd like to
even know how to get started
Do you have any advice for tutorials, or gems, or even good keywords for
a google search (though I can usually find those on my own) ?

Thanks,

--Aldric

snex

On Feb 12, 11:42*am, Aldric Giacomoni <"aldric[remove]"@trevoke.net>
wrote:
> Hi all, I'd like to start getting my hands dirty with some graphical
> stuff but I have no idea where to begin - like, for instance, a game of
> pong. What libraries/gems are out there to do stuff like that? Do I have
> no choice but to use something like rubyfx or the gtk or tk bindings and
> then kinda cover it up?
> I know I -should- have something and ask for advice but .. I'd like to
> even know how to get started
> Do you have any advice for tutorials, or gems, or even good keywords for
> a google search (though I can usually find those on my own) ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Aldric

id go with the opengl and glut bindings. they should be cross-platform.

Martin DeMello

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Aldric Giacomoni
<"aldric[remove]"@trevoke.net> wrote:
> Hi all, I'd like to start getting my hands dirty with some graphical stuff
> but I have no idea where to begin - like, for instance, a game of pong. What
> libraries/gems are out there to do stuff like that? Do I have no choice but
> to use something like rubyfx or the gtk or tk bindings and then kinda cover
> it up?

http://shoooes.net/
http://www.libgosu.org/
http://rubygame.sourceforge.net/

martin

Shawn Anderson

There's a few options here:
2D games:
Rubygame (my favorite)
Gosu
RUDL (not really maintained IIRC)
Gemini (require JRuby)

3D
Ogre.rb (ruby bindings for ogre 3d engine)

These are the ones I know off the top of my head.
Hope this helps,
Shawn