Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Initial release of Elemental

[ANN] Initial release of Elemental

mwlang88

Posted By: Michael Lang
Date: 2009-02-02 18:42
Project: Elemental Enumerated Types

I am happy to announce the initial release of Elemental 0.1.1.

Elemental provides enumerated collection of elements that allow you to
associate ruby symbols to arbitrary "display" values, thus allowing
your code to think symbolically and unambiguously while giving you the
means to easily display what end-users need to see. Additionally,
symbols are associated with ordinal values, allowing easy storage/
retrieval to persistent stores (databases, files, marshalling, etc) by
saving the Element#value as appropriate (String by default, Fixnum if
you "persist_ordinally").

The primary aim of Elemental is to collect and abstract literals away
from your code logic. There's an old programmer's wisdom that you
should not encode your logic using literal values, especially those
the end-user is exposed to.

Complete details provided in README.txt

http://github.com/mwlang/elemental/tree/master
http://rubyforge.org/projects/elemental/

Regards,

Michael
--
http://ramblings.gibberishcode.net

Ryan Davis

From your github readme:

> if my_user.status == UserStatus::active.value
> my_user.favorite_color = Color::blue

versus:

> if my_user.status == UserStatus::ACTIVE
> my_user.favorite_color = Color::BLUE

?

in other words, why would I want to add 250 lines of dependency code
where 0 seems to suffice?

mwlang88

On Feb 2, 9:15*pm, Ryan Davis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> *From your github readme:
>
> > * if my_user.status == UserStatus::active.value
> > * my_user.favorite_color = Color::blue

> versus:
>
> > * if my_user.status == UserStatus::ACTIVE
> > * my_user.favorite_color = Color::BLUE

> ?
>
> in other words, why would I want to add 250 lines of dependency code *
> where 0 seems to suffice?

As always, depends on where you want to go with it. For me, I wanted
to catch typos immediately much like a compiled language might. I
also wanted to associate a display value with a symbol. And I also
wanted to have that be enumerable so I can populate a dropdown list or
emit radio button groups and checkboxes.

Not every case calls for Elemental, but I find that it heightens my
code's clarity and maintainability and felt it worthy to release to
public domain.

Michael

Gregory Brown

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Ryan Davis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> From your github readme:
>
>> if my_user.status == UserStatus::active.value
>> my_user.favorite_color = Color::blue

> versus:
>
>> if my_user.status == UserStatus::ACTIVE
>> my_user.favorite_color = Color::BLUE

> ?
>
> in other words, why would I want to add 250 lines of dependency code where 0
> seems to suffice?

Don't be so harsh Ryan. You'd need at least two lines of code there

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com
Non-tech stuff at: http://metametta.blogspot.com

Ryan Davis

On Feb 2, 2009, at 18:34 , mwlang88 wrote:

>> in other words, why would I want to add 250 lines of dependency code
>> where 0 seems to suffice?

> As always, depends on where you want to go with it. For me, I wanted
> to catch typos immediately much like a compiled language might.

immediately? how? you can't (afaik) do better than a runtime error of
some kind. No different than a const_missing/NameError that you're
going to get with a typo'd constant name.

> I also wanted to associate a display value with a symbol.

#to_s ? #to_html ? #to_whatever ? Maybe I'm not getting your point on
this one.

> And I also wanted to have that be enumerable so I can populate a
> dropdown list or emit radio button groups and checkboxes.

Arrays are already enumerable.

# actual code from png.rb:
Background = Color.from 0x00000000, "Transparent"
Black = Color.from 0x000000FF, "Black"
Blue = Color.from 0x0000FFFF, "Blue"
Brown = Color.from 0x996633FF, "Brown"
Bubblegum = Color.from 0xFF66FFFF, "Bubblegum"
Cyan = Color.from 0x00FFFFFF, "Cyan"
Gray = Color.from 0x7F7F7FFF, "Gray"
Green = Color.from 0x00FF00FF, "Green"
Magenta = Color.from 0xFF00FFFF, "Magenta"
Orange = Color.from 0xFF7F00FF, "Orange"
Purple = Color.from 0x7F007FFF, "Purple"
Red = Color.from 0xFF0000FF, "Red"
White = Color.from 0xFFFFFFFF, "White"
Yellow = Color.from 0xFFFF00FF, "Yellow"

so it would be trivial to do:

Colors = [...all of the above...]

options_from_collection_for_select(Color::Colors, :to_hex, :name)

> Not every case calls for Elemental, but I find that it heightens my
> code's clarity and maintainability and felt it worthy to release to
> public domain.

Granted, the doco you have up on github is a tad on the light side,
but I just don't see it. Ruby seems to provide pretty good mechanisms
for everything you're trying to solve.

mwlang88

On Feb 3, 4:45*am, Ryan Davis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2009, at 18:34 , mwlang88 wrote:
>
> >> in other words, why would I want to add 250 lines of dependency code
> >> where 0 seems to suffice?

> > As always, depends on where you want to go with it. *For me, I wanted
> > to catch typos immediately much like a compiled language might.

> immediately? how? you can't (afaik) do better than a runtime error of *
> some kind. No different than a const_missing/NameError that you're *
> going to get with a typo'd constant name.
>
> > I also wanted to associate a display value with a symbol.

> #to_s ? #to_html ? #to_whatever ? Maybe I'm not getting your point on *
> this one.
>
> > And I also wanted to have that be enumerable so I can populate a *
> > dropdown list or emit radio button groups and checkboxes.

> Arrays are already enumerable.
>
> * * *# actual code from png.rb:
> * * *Background = Color.from 0x00000000, "Transparent"
> * * *Black * * *= Color.from 0x000000FF, "Black"
> * * *Blue * * * = Color.from 0x0000FFFF, "Blue"
> * * *Brown * * *= Color.from 0x996633FF, "Brown"
> * * *Bubblegum *= Color.from 0xFF66FFFF, "Bubblegum"
> * * *Cyan * * * = Color.from 0x00FFFFFF, "Cyan"
> * * *Gray * * * = Color.from 0x7F7F7FFF, "Gray"
> * * *Green * * *= Color.from 0x00FF00FF, "Green"
> * * *Magenta * *= Color.from 0xFF00FFFF, "Magenta"
> * * *Orange * * = Color.from 0xFF7F00FF, "Orange"
> * * *Purple * * = Color.from 0x7F007FFF, "Purple"
> * * *Red * * * *= Color.from 0xFF0000FF, "Red"
> * * *White * * *= Color.from 0xFFFFFFFF, "White"
> * * *Yellow * * = Color.from 0xFFFF00FF, "Yellow"
>
> so it would be trivial to do:
>
> * *Colors = [...all of the above...]
>
> ..
> options_from_collection_for_select(Color::Colors, :to_hex, :name)
>
> > Not every case calls for Elemental, but I find that it heightens my
> > code's clarity and maintainability and felt it worthy to release to
> > public domain.

> Granted, the doco you have up on github is a tad on the light side, *
> but I just don't see it. Ruby seems to provide pretty good mechanisms *
> for everything you're trying to solve.

This is some interesting stuff and you have just shown me a technique/
use of arrays I haven't encountered yet. Looks like I'm going to have
to take myself back to school here.

Michael