Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > RDoc 2.3 now with Darkfish, without CHM and extra HTML templates

RDoc 2.3 now with Darkfish, without CHM and extra HTML templates

Eric Hodel

This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael =20
Granger=92s Darkfish generator has become the default output format for =20=

RDoc! Michael put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite =20
lovely. Check out the RDoc documentation for a sample:

http://rdoc.rubyforge.org/

rdoc_chm and rdoc_html_templates have been split off from RDoc and =20
released separately as unmaintained software. I don=92t plan to make any =
=20
future changes or updates to rdoc_html_templates (which are for the =20
old HTML generator) ever, but somebody may be interested in taking =20
over maintainership of the rdoc_chm generator.

rdoc will automatically detect rdoc_html_templates and rdoc_chm, so =20
you only need to install them to make them usable via command-line =20
options.=

Joel VanderWerf

Eric Hodel wrote:
> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael
> Granger’s Darkfish generator has become the default output format for
> RDoc! Michael put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite
> lovely. Check out the RDoc documentation for a sample:
>
> http://rdoc.rubyforge.org/

It does look nice, except for source code display. The bg color is gray,
and so fg cyan/orange do not display well. Is this the default? Is it
changeable?

Mike Gold

Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael
>> Granger�s Darkfish generator has become the default output format for
>> RDoc! Michael put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite
>> lovely. Check out the RDoc documentation for a sample:
>>
>> http://rdoc.rubyforge.org/

> It does look nice, except for source code display. The bg color is gray,
> and so fg cyan/orange do not display well. Is this the default? Is it
> changeable?

I appreciate the effort, it's just the colors do seem odd. The
pea-green on top of the gray is difficult to read, and may even be
uglier than congressman Henry Waxman. Please consider changing the
default colors.

Michael Fellinger

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Eric Hodel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael Granger's
> Darkfish generator has become the default output format for RDoc! Michael
> put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite lovely. Check out the
> RDoc documentation for a sample:
>
> http://rdoc.rubyforge.org/

It has a nice validate link, but seems like it got errors:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...byforge.org%2F

^ manveru

Martin DeMello

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Eric Hodel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael Granger's
> Darkfish generator has become the default output format for RDoc! Michael
> put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite lovely. Check out the
> RDoc documentation for a sample:
>
> http://rdoc.rubyforge.org/

The RDoc documentation is a pretty bad sample, since the majority of
the methods say 'not documented'. I suggest putting a small but
well-documented project on the site purely to act as a demo.

martin

Eric Hodel

On Jan 29, 2009, at 3:24, Martin DeMello <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Eric Hodel <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> This release of RDoc brings some big changes. Most notably Michael
>> Granger's
>> Darkfish generator has become the default output format for RDoc!
>> Michael
>> put a ton of great work into this, and it looks quite lovely. Check
>> out the
>> RDoc documentation for a sample:
>>
>> http://rdoc.rubyforge.org/

> The RDoc documentation is a pretty bad sample, since the majority of
> the methods say 'not documented'. I suggest putting a small but
> well-documented project on the site purely to act as a demo.

Patches welcome

Martin DeMello

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Eric Hodel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2009, at 3:24, Martin DeMello <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> The RDoc documentation is a pretty bad sample, since the majority of
>> the methods say 'not documented'. I suggest putting a small but
>> well-documented project on the site purely to act as a demo.

> Patches welcome

Will sift rubyforge for candidates. Prawn looks pretty good in terms
of coverage, though perhaps something smaller would be better.

martin

Gregory Brown

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Martin DeMello
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Eric Hodel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Jan 29, 2009, at 3:24, Martin DeMello <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> The RDoc documentation is a pretty bad sample, since the majority of
>>> the methods say 'not documented'. I suggest putting a small but
>>> well-documented project on the site purely to act as a demo.

>> Patches welcome

> Will sift rubyforge for candidates. Prawn looks pretty good in terms
> of coverage, though perhaps something smaller would be better.

Now that prawn has been split out into various extensions, prawn-core
isn't too bad.
http://prawn.majesticseacreature.com/docs/prawn-core/

I'll probably give the latest RDoc a try soon, and post here if I do.

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com
Non-tech stuff at: http://metametta.blogspot.com

Eric Hodel

On Jan 29, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Gregory Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Martin DeMello
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Eric Hodel <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Patches welcome

>> Will sift rubyforge for candidates. Prawn looks pretty good in terms
>> of coverage, though perhaps something smaller would be better.

> Now that prawn has been split out into various extensions, prawn-core
> isn't too bad.
> http://prawn.majesticseacreature.com/docs/prawn-core/
>
> I'll probably give the latest RDoc a try soon, and post here if I do.

Oh, you can rebuild all your rdoc on your machine with:

sudo gem rdoc --all --no-ri

Clifford Heath

Eric Hodel wrote:
> This release of RDoc brings some big changes.

Thanks, I think it's an improvement. Still has a way to go IMO, however...

Has the behavior of #:nodoc: changed? I have *empty* documentation
for classes where the class definition has #:nodoc:, instead of no
documentation... If this is a change, I think it's an error.

I'd like to see the class index above the file index - I rarely find
the file index useful and almost always use the class index.

Clifford Heath.

CHM question Maximise the chm file Andre Linoge HTML 0 05-11-2012 04:54 PM
rdoc -> chm file failing Mirek Ruby 0 03-22-2006 03:04 PM
Documentation with rDoc and .chm-help. rbPete Ruby 0 02-28-2006 06:49 AM
rdoc: how to add readme.rdoc as index.html? Iwan van der Kleyn Ruby 1 04-26-2005 12:37 PM
RE: Help, *.CHM, etc -> *nix .chm viewer Christian Wilcox Python 1 01-21-2004 06:18 PM

Advertisments