Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > ruby json library trouble

ruby json library trouble

Lyes Amazouz

Hi everybody

I'm trying to export some data in the Json format using the json_pure
library

I've well prepared my structure in my program and I used the generate method
to get the Jon output. But, during the generation, an error occurs saying
that it met a character that is not utf-8 encoded.?

Do this mean that I'm obliged to give UTF-8 encoded strings in my objects to
get my json output, and if it is the case, do you now good ruby utf-8
encoding library to advise it to me?

Thank you!
--
===========
| Lyes Amazouz
| USTHB, Algiers
===========

Izidor Jerebic

I did not check, but probably you need to use utf8 strings, at least
for ruby 1.8

For encoding into utf8, you need to know what is your string's current
encoding, and then change the string into utf8 encoding. You can use
iconv() (google ruby iconv) for that change.

izidor

On 15.1.2009, at 0:48, Lyes Amazouz wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> I'm trying to export some data in the Json format using the json_pure
> library
>
> I've well prepared my structure in my program and I used the
> generate method
> to get the Jon output. But, during the generation, an error occurs
> saying
> that it met a character that is not utf-8 encoded.?
>
> Do this mean that I'm obliged to give UTF-8 encoded strings in my
> objects to
> get my json output, and if it is the case, do you now good ruby utf-8
> encoding library to advise it to me?
>
> Thank you!
> --
> ===========
> | Lyes Amazouz
> | USTHB, Algiers
> ===========

Brian Candler

Amazouz Loui wrote:
> I've well prepared my structure in my program and I used the generate
> method
> to get the Jon output. But, during the generation, an error occurs
> saying
> that it met a character that is not utf-8 encoded.?

Json *only* supports Unicode text. See http://www.unicode.org/

If you want to send arbitrary binary data, you need to encode it first
into a textual form, e.g. using base64 encoding.

If you want to sent 8-bit text which is not UTF-8, then you can
transcode it to UTF-8 (probably the "right thing" in this context), or
base64 encode it.

Brian Candler

Sorry I meant http://www.json.org/ - must engage brain sooner!

Lyes Amazouz

OK, thank you Brian and Izidor,

I will see in that way. But I want to know something more, what is exactly
the role of the KCode Variable?

Than kyou!

--
===========
| Lyes Amazouz
| USTHB, Algiers
===========

James Gray

On Jan 18, 2009, at 1:03 AM, Lyes Amazouz wrote:

> I will see in that way. But I want to know something more, what is
> exactly the role of the KCode Variable?

I answer that specific question in this blog post:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/arti..._jcode_library

If you want more general character encoding information, you may wish
to start reading from the beginning of that series:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/arti...rstanding_m17n

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II

Lyes Amazouz

Hello James!

Thank you for the quick answer, I will see whate you gave me

--