Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > starting a shell command without wait?

starting a shell command without wait?

Roland Winkler

Hi,

I have a simple problem. I like to start simply executable on windows XP
with a shell command as last step in the small script. Using
system("some.exe"), `some.exe`, exec("some.exe") or %x["some.exe"] keeps
always the shell open. After closing the exe the shell also vanish.

How can i simply start a executable from a ruby script without having
the shell always open?

Thanks,
Roland

Roland Winkler

I found my self the solution!

I use now IO.popen("some.exe") and it does the job.

Thanks,
Roland