Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Multiple Ruby versions for testing

Multiple Ruby versions for testing

James Coglan

Hi list,

I'm trying to test a gem (managed with Hoe) on my Ubuntu machine. The Ruby
from the Ubuntu repos is 1.8.7, but the last version I tested this gem on
was 1.8.6, where all the tests pass. Now some of the tests are failing so I
need to test across multiple versions at once. Can someone point me to a
decent walk-through on install and running tests against several versions of
Ruby?

--
James Coglan

Craig Demyanovich

Dr. Nic wrote something about this recently.

http://drnicwilliams.com/2008/12/11/...our-ruby-code/

Regards,
Craig

James Coglan

2008/12/12 Craig Demyanovich <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Dr. Nic wrote something about this recently.
>
> http://drnicwilliams.com/2008/12/11/...our-ruby-code/
>
> Regards,
> Craig

Thanks for that. On first running the "multiruby -e 'p 1+1'" command, it
downloads 1.8.7 and 1.9.0 then starts building them, but hangs when it gets
to "creating Makefile". Anybody else get this and know how to fix it? I have
build-essential and ruby1.8-dev installed and the build doesn't report
errors, it just hangs.

Ryan Davis

On Dec 12, 2008, at 11:14 , James Coglan wrote:

> 2008/12/12 Craig Demyanovich <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Dr. Nic wrote something about this recently.
>>
>> http://drnicwilliams.com/2008/12/11/...our-ruby-code/

> Thanks for that. On first running the "multiruby -e 'p 1+1'"
> command, it
> downloads 1.8.7 and 1.9.0 then starts building them, but hangs when
> it gets
> to "creating Makefile". Anybody else get this and know how to fix
> it? I have
> build-essential and ruby1.8-dev installed and the build doesn't report
> errors, it just hangs.

ruby 1.9.0 has a makefile bug that prevents parallel builds from
working correctly. You can either install one of the latest 1.9
releases [1], go from trunk, or cd into the build dir and type `make`
to bypass the bug.

[1] http://drnicwilliams.com/2008/12/11/...our-ruby-code/

Marc Heiler

> Can someone point me to a decent walk-through on install
> and running tests against several versions of Ruby?

I wouldn't recommending "my" way of doing it but I compile Ruby
into versioned directories (from source), i.e. under
/Programs/Ruby/1.9.0 for instance. A symlink will point to the version
to use, to switch versions one just adjusts the symlink (and
"resymlinks" in case one follows something akin to
http://www.gobolinux.org/ )

However, I think pretty all Linux distributions do not enjoy this idea
and instead scatter files into /usr prefix (when it comes from the
"package manager" of the distribution in question), or /usr/local (if a
user compiled on his own, though many people use $HOME prefix, and some
even use /opt which I find extremely peculiar since I saw some
distributions using pseudo-versioned dirs inside /opt i.e. "/opt/kde3"
...)