Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > network proximity calculation

network proximity calculation

Grayson Piercee

Hello,

I'm trying to do a home grown load balancing solution that needs to
determine which of the two data centers a visitor should be sent to.
I'd like to do some type of a network proximity calculation that
includes latency and number of hops which will allow me to redirect the
user to their "closest/fastest" server.

I know all about CDNs and Appliance Load Balancers (F5); I'm looking for
a custom software solution instead.

Any pointers is much appreciated.

GP.

brabuhr@gmail.com

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Grayson Piercee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm trying to do a home grown load balancing solution that needs to
> determine which of the two data centers a visitor should be sent to.
> I'd like to do some type of a network proximity calculation that
> includes latency and number of hops which will allow me to redirect the
> user to their "closest/fastest" server.
>
> I know all about CDNs and Appliance Load Balancers (F5); I'm looking for
> a custom software solution instead.
>
> Any pointers is much appreciated.

traceroute -n -w 1 -q 1 $USER | awk '{sum += $3} END { printf ("%8.2f\n",sum)}'

Depending on how much time you can burn up front, one option may be to
query the user's IP address via a geo-ip-location; perhaps cache the
result based on either the user's full IP address or class C subnet to
reduce the external API calls. Maybe traceroute and/or ping from each
data center and geo-locate, caching all the results?

Proximity searches in Ruby Stuart Clarke Ruby 13 12-08-2008 03:05 PM
NEWS: Sony Develops New Close Proximity Wireless Transfer Technology "TransferJet" John Navas Digital Photography 2 01-15-2008 04:27 PM
lucene fuzzy and proximity michy Java 0 10-19-2006 08:34 AM
Zipcode lookup by proximity... William Morris ASP General 8 06-11-2004 03:43 AM
power calculation in fpga sunil VHDL 2 02-11-2004 12:16 PM

Advertisments