Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Stylesheet not honored; directory access thwarted

Stylesheet not honored; directory access thwarted

RichardOnRails

Hi,

I intend to import CVS data from user-selected files a sub-directory
withing a Rails app. I wrote a toy app outside the scope of Rails
just to test this capability. The toy app is posted at http://www.pastie.org/308209.

The toy has a few blemishes:
1. I included CSS to center the link, but it's rendered left-
justified.
2. I expected the filenames in the imports sub-directory to be
displayed, but they were not.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Richard

Hassan Schroeder

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM, RichardOnRails
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The toy has a few blemishes:
> 1. I included CSS to center the link, but it's rendered left-
> justified.

An anchor is not a block element, hence is only as wide as its content.
(Also, the 'position: relative' is meaningless in the example shown.)

> 2. I expected the filenames in the imports sub-directory to be
> displayed, but they were not.

I'm guessing you think that a URL can contain wildcards; it can't.

If you use ` href="/imports/"` and your server allows directory listing,
you'll see the files listed.

HTH,

H*
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

RichardOnRails

On Nov 5, 4:14*pm, Hassan Schroeder <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM, RichardOnRails
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The toy has a few blemishes:
> > 1. *I included CSS to center the link, *but it's rendered left-
> > justified.

> An anchor is not a block element, hence is only as wide as its content.
> (Also, the 'position: relative' is meaningless in the example shown.)
>
> > 2. *I expected the filenames in the imports sub-directory to be
> > displayed, but they were not.

> I'm guessing you think that a URL can contain wildcards; it can't.
>
> If you use ` href="/imports/"` and your server allows directory listing,
> you'll see the files listed.
>
> HTH,
>
> H*
> --
> Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ (E-Mail Removed)

Hi Hassan,

Excellent guidance!

I got centering of my link working both with in-line styling and
external CSS.
And I also got a directory listing from Firefox.

You're batting 1000. Thanks a lot!

Best wishes,
Richard