Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > "Would you like to subscribe to ....."

"Would you like to subscribe to ....."

dunky

Suddenly every time I open a newsgroup I'm getting that message. Every.
Single. Time.

And the read messages aren't staying read.

Ideas?

I've deleted my news folder, but that didn't help.

dantu

dunky wrote:

> Suddenly every time I open a newsgroup I'm getting that message.
> Every. Single. Time.
>
> And the read messages aren't staying read.
>
> Ideas?
>
> I've deleted my news folder, but that didn't help.

On which news server is this? One of them or all of them?

dunky

dantu wrote:
> dunky wrote:
>
>> Suddenly every time I open a newsgroup I'm getting that message.
>> Every. Single. Time.
>>
>> And the read messages aren't staying read.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> I've deleted my news folder, but that didn't help.

> On which news server is this? One of them or all of them?

I only have one news server, but many news groups.

dantu

dunky wrote:

> dantu wrote:
>
>> dunky wrote:
>>
>>> Suddenly every time I open a newsgroup I'm getting that message.
>>> Every. Single. Time.
>>>
>>> And the read messages aren't staying read.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>>
>>> I've deleted my news folder, but that didn't help.

>> On which news server is this? One of them or all of them?
>>

> I only have one news server, but many news groups.

Okay, but which server is it then? This group, alt.fan.mozilla is
available on many servers.

Ed Mullen

dunky wrote:
> Suddenly every time I open a newsgroup I'm getting that message. Every.
> Single. Time.
>
> And the read messages aren't staying read.
>
> Ideas?
>
> I've deleted my news folder, but that didn't help.

Exactly what did you delete? What do you mean by "news folder?"

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dunky

dunky wrote:
> Suddenly every time I open a newsgroup I'm getting that message. Every.
> Single. Time.
>
> And the read messages aren't staying read.
>
> Ideas?
>
> I've deleted my news folder, but that didn't help.

or to put it more clearly.

i have 'news' via my isp. 'ispnews'.

i have a number of newsgroups that i've subscribed to.

for instance alt.fan.mozilla.

every time i click on alt.fan.mozilla to read the news, i am asked if i
would like to subscribe, and then it downloads all the active headers.
previously read threads are also being marked as UNread.

*this happens every time* i read the newsgroups via the 'ispnews' option
in mozilla's mail/news.

i have deleted the 'news' folder under my profile, i have also installed
another version of mozilla.

all to no avail.

does someone actually know how to fix this? please?!

Leonidas Jones

dunky wrote:

> dunky wrote:
>
>> Suddenly every time I open a newsgroup I'm getting that message.
>> Every. Single. Time.
>>
>> And the read messages aren't staying read.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> I've deleted my news folder, but that didn't help.

> or to put it more clearly.
>
> i have 'news' via my isp. 'ispnews'.
>
> i have a number of newsgroups that i've subscribed to.
>
> for instance alt.fan.mozilla.
>
> every time i click on alt.fan.mozilla to read the news, i am asked if i
> would like to subscribe, and then it downloads all the active headers.
> previously read threads are also being marked as UNread.
>
> *this happens every time* i read the newsgroups via the 'ispnews' option
> in mozilla's mail/news.
>
> i have deleted the 'news' folder under my profile, i have also installed
> another version of mozilla.
>
> all to no avail.
>
> does someone actually know how to fix this? please?!

First troubleshooting step is always to create a new profile, and see if
theproblem happens there. If the problem does not happen, we know to
look in the profile folder for the cause.

Lee

Ed Mullen

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> dunky wrote:
>

>>dunky wrote:
>>

>>>Suddenly every time I open a newsgroup I'm getting that message.
>>>Every. Single. Time.
>>>
>>>And the read messages aren't staying read.
>>>
>>>Ideas?
>>>
>>>I've deleted my news folder, but that didn't help.

>>or to put it more clearly.
>>
>>i have 'news' via my isp. 'ispnews'.
>>
>>i have a number of newsgroups that i've subscribed to.
>>
>>for instance alt.fan.mozilla.
>>
>>every time i click on alt.fan.mozilla to read the news, i am asked if i
>>would like to subscribe, and then it downloads all the active headers.
>>previously read threads are also being marked as UNread.
>>
>>*this happens every time* i read the newsgroups via the 'ispnews' option
>>in mozilla's mail/news.
>>
>>i have deleted the 'news' folder under my profile, i have also installed
>>another version of mozilla.
>>
>>all to no avail.
>>
>>does someone actually know how to fix this? please?!

> First troubleshooting step is always to create a new profile, and see if
> theproblem happens there. If the problem does not happen, we know to
> look in the profile folder for the cause.
>
> Lee

Right. And stop deleting stuff unless you really know what's going to
happen. Ask us first!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

buggerbuggerbugger

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> dunky wrote:
>
>> dunky wrote:
>>
>>> Suddenly every time I open a newsgroup I'm getting that message.
>>> Every. Single. Time.
>>>
>>> And the read messages aren't staying read.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>>
>>> I've deleted my news folder, but that didn't help.

>> or to put it more clearly.
>>
>> i have 'news' via my isp. 'ispnews'.
>>
>> i have a number of newsgroups that i've subscribed to.
>>
>> for instance alt.fan.mozilla.
>>
>> every time i click on alt.fan.mozilla to read the news, i am asked if
>> i would like to subscribe, and then it downloads all the active
>> headers. previously read threads are also being marked as UNread.
>>
>> *this happens every time* i read the newsgroups via the 'ispnews'
>> option in mozilla's mail/news.
>>
>> i have deleted the 'news' folder under my profile, i have also
>> installed another version of mozilla.
>>
>> all to no avail.
>>
>> does someone actually know how to fix this? please?!

> First troubleshooting step is always to create a new profile, and see if
> theproblem happens there. If the problem does not happen, we know to
> look in the profile folder for the cause.
>
> Lee

beauty! i've been using mozilla for years and actually forgot i could
create a new profile. the irritation level was so high, i don't think i
really care what caused the problem now!

thanks for the useful advice.