Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > extract contents from pdf (pdf reader)

extract contents from pdf (pdf reader)

P Rajmohan Banavi-A17190

Hi,
=20
I am looking for a way to read the contents of the pdf document. Could
you pls advice on how to go about it? I have tried using the pdf-reader
gem but ran into issues. Are there any other gems out there?
=20
The issue I am facing with pdf-reader is - I installed 0.7.5 gem on
Windows and am having 1.8.6 version of ruby. Now there seems to be some
issue with the 0.7.5 version and hence downgraded to 0.7.3 as per the
suggestions of the gem author in one of his replies on the mailing list.
But even with 0.7.3, I am seeing the same issue. Am I missing something?
=20
D:\Profiles\admin\My Documents>ruby pdf_reader_test.rb=20
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-reader-0.7.3/lib/pdf/reader/content.r
b:430:in `page_count': wrong number of arguments (1 for 0)
(ArgumentError)
=20
Thanks in advance.

Gregory Brown

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 11:29 PM, P Rajmohan Banavi-A17190
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a way to read the contents of the pdf document. Could
> you pls advice on how to go about it? I have tried using the pdf-reader
> gem but ran into issues. Are there any other gems out there?

AFAIK PDF::Reader is the only serious option, and I see you've posted
on the PDF::Reader mailing list so I'm sure James will get back to you
soon.

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com | Non-tech