Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Crashes and Netscape Reporting

Crashes and Netscape Reporting

Stuart

My copy of Mozilla 1.5 has started crashing with no warning.... in fact
the first I know it crashes is when the Netscape Feedback agent thingy
opens up.

I'd obviously like to send back the feedback to these crashes, but it
won't connect. I'm on a normal dial up connection (with Freeserve),
anyone know how I should configure the settings so that it will report back?

dantu

Stuart wrote:

> My copy of Mozilla 1.5 has started crashing with no warning.... in
> fact the first I know it crashes is when the Netscape Feedback agent
> thingy opens up.
>
> I'd obviously like to send back the feedback to these crashes, but it
> won't connect. I'm on a normal dial up connection (with Freeserve),
> anyone know how I should configure the settings so that it will report
> back?

Stuart

What do you mean it wont connect? What error message do you
get, or what leads you to the conclusion that it wont connect?

You can disable Talkback if you wish.

Stuart

dantu wrote:

> What do you mean it wont connect? What error message do you get,
> or what leads you to the conclusion that it wont connect?
>
> You can disable Talkback if you wish.

I know I can, but that would defeat the point, if it is crashing I'd
much rather it told someone so that it might prevent it happening in
future versions.

It gets half way through trying to send an error report and then gives
me the error message 'The agent is unable to conect to the server,
Please check Proxy settings or try again later'

I don't have any proxy set in Mozilla, but the agent seems to insist on some

GFRfan

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:28:03 +0000, Stuart
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dantu wrote:
>

>> What do you mean it wont connect? What error message do you get,
>> or what leads you to the conclusion that it wont connect?
>>
>> You can disable Talkback if you wish.

>I know I can, but that would defeat the point, if it is crashing I'd
>much rather it told someone so that it might prevent it happening in
>future versions.
>
>It gets half way through trying to send an error report and then gives
>me the error message 'The agent is unable to conect to the server,
>Please check Proxy settings or try again later'
>
>I don't have any proxy set in Mozilla, but the agent seems to insist on some

The point is that Talkback can actually be the CAUSE of the crashes.

dantu

Stuart wrote:

> dantu wrote:
>

>> What do you mean it wont connect? What error message do you
>> get, or what leads you to the conclusion that it wont connect?
>>
>> You can disable Talkback if you wish.

> I know I can, but that would defeat the point, if it is crashing I'd
> much rather it told someone so that it might prevent it happening in
> future versions.
>
> It gets half way through trying to send an error report and then gives
> me the error message 'The agent is unable to conect to the server,
> Please check Proxy settings or try again later'
>
> I don't have any proxy set in Mozilla, but the agent seems to insist
> on some

Do you have a firewall in use?

Leonidas Jones

GFRfan wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:28:03 +0000, Stuart
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>dantu wrote:
>>

>>> What do you mean it wont connect? What error message do you get,
>>>or what leads you to the conclusion that it wont connect?
>>>
>>> You can disable Talkback if you wish.

>>I know I can, but that would defeat the point, if it is crashing I'd
>>much rather it told someone so that it might prevent it happening in
>>future versions.
>>
>>It gets half way through trying to send an error report and then gives
>>me the error message 'The agent is unable to conect to the server,
>>Please check Proxy settings or try again later'
>>
>>I don't have any proxy set in Mozilla, but the agent seems to insist on some

> The point is that Talkback can actually be the CAUSE of the crashes.

I'm curious, how do you suypport that statement?

Lee

Stuart

dantu wrote:
> Do you have a firewall in use?

No firewall

dantu

Stuart wrote:

> dantu wrote:
>
>> Do you have a firewall in use?

> No firewall

Stuart

It would help if you didnt edit or snip thanks. To you the
problem is known/fresh, to me I have to go back to previous messages to
see what the problem is and what has been done/asked previously. Thanks
for your consideration in this matter.

You imply that at one time Talkback was working just fine,
is this an accurate assumption? Has anything changed since the time it
was working?

Stuart

> It would help if you didnt edit or snip thanks. To you the
> problem is known/fresh, to me I have to go back to previous messages to
> see what the problem is and what has been done/asked previously. Thanks
> for your consideration in this matter.

I'd assume anyone who didn't know would look at the rest of the thread.

> You imply that at one time Talkback was working just fine, is
> this an accurate assumption? Has anything changed since the time it was
> working?

No, it's never needed to work before. It's the first time it's popped up

dantu

Stuart wrote:

>> It would help if you didnt edit or snip thanks. To you the
>> problem is known/fresh, to me I have to go back to previous messages
>> to see what the problem is and what has been done/asked previously.
>> Thanks for your consideration in this matter.

> I'd assume anyone who didn't know would look at the rest of the thread.
>

>> You imply that at one time Talkback was working just fine,
>> is this an accurate assumption? Has anything changed since the time
>> it was working?

> No, it's never needed to work before. It's the first time it's popped up

You assume that everyone has LOTS of time to go back and look at threads
to try to ascertain what the problem is, and whats been suggested
previously? Try doing that for the dozen open threads in this groups
alone, or the dozens in other groups. Peoples time is important.
Assuming that YOUR problem is so important to others is a falacy. Why
should I go back and view up to a dozen or more messages just to figure
out what your problem is, and whats been done so far? I have lots
better things to do with my time thank you very much.
You want to snip and edit, then fine, its your problem, you
can resolve it.

You mean this is the first time Mozilla has crashed on you? How many
times has this occurred?