Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla spelling check file?

Mozilla spelling check file?

carlton hunter

I use Mozilla 1.6 Mail. I would like to backup my custom additions to
Mozilla Mail's spelI checker. I found the spell check dictionary, but
its time stamp suggests it hasn't my additions. Where does Mozilla
Mail keep these?

Keith Bowes

carlton hunter wrote:
> I use Mozilla 1.6 Mail. I would like to backup my custom additions to
> Mozilla Mail's spelI checker. I found the spell check dictionary, but
> its time stamp suggests it hasn't my additions. Where does Mozilla
> Mail keep these?

It's in persdict.dat in your profile. See the release notes to find out
where profiles on your OS are kept.

anthony darden

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:35:27 -0500, Keith Bowes <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>carlton hunter wrote:
>> I use Mozilla 1.6 Mail. I would like to backup my custom additions to
>> Mozilla Mail's spelI checker. I found the spell check dictionary, but
>> its time stamp suggests it hasn't my additions. Where does Mozilla
>> Mail keep these?

>It's in persdict.dat in your profile. See the release notes to find out
>where profiles on your OS are kept.

That sounded promising, but nowhere on my computer is there a file
called that. I scanned my whole disk where Mozilla is installed for
that file, but turned up nothing at all.

dantu

anthony darden wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:35:27 -0500, Keith Bowes <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>carlton hunter wrote:
>>

>>>I use Mozilla 1.6 Mail. I would like to backup my custom additions to
>>>Mozilla Mail's spelI checker. I found the spell check dictionary, but
>>>its time stamp suggests it hasn't my additions. Where does Mozilla
>>>Mail keep these?
>>>

>>It's in persdict.dat in your profile. See the release notes to find out
>>where profiles on your OS are kept.
>>

>That sounded promising, but nowhere on my computer is there a file
>called that. I scanned my whole disk where Mozilla is installed for
>that file, but turned up nothing at all.

Well, actually, the custom dictionary file is called... "Custom
Dictionary"

its in the profile folder for Mozilla, along with everything else.
since you posted with Forte Agent, I presume you are using windows.

Simply look in your profile for the Custom Dictionary file.

Ed Mullen

anthony darden wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:35:27 -0500, Keith Bowes <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>carlton hunter wrote:
>>
>>>I use Mozilla 1.6 Mail. I would like to backup my custom additions to
>>>Mozilla Mail's spelI checker. I found the spell check dictionary, but
>>>its time stamp suggests it hasn't my additions. Where does Mozilla
>>>Mail keep these?

>>It's in persdict.dat in your profile. See the release notes to find out
>>where profiles on your OS are kept.

> That sounded promising, but nowhere on my computer is there a file
> called that. I scanned my whole disk where Mozilla is installed for
> that file, but turned up nothing at all.

And have you gone to Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder options - click
the View tab - and make sure you can see Hidden Files and Folders?

do that and try again.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

anthony darden

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:39:15 -0500, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:35:27 -0500, Keith Bowes <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>It's in persdict.dat in your profile. See the release notes to find out
>>>where profiles on your OS are kept.

>> That sounded promising, but nowhere on my computer is there a file
>> called that. I scanned my whole disk where Mozilla is installed for
>> that file, but turned up nothing at all.
>>

>And have you gone to Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder options - click
>the View tab - and make sure you can see Hidden Files and Folders?
>
>do that and try again.

I have verified that my Windows Explorer has "see hidden files and
folders" selected. I found a likely sounding folder named C:\Program
Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\defaults\profile\US , but its files are a
folder named "chrome" and 5 other files, bookmarks.html,
localstore.rdf, panels.rdf. mimeTypes.rdf, and search.rdf .

I still cannot find the dictionary additions file. Any other thoughts?

I searched my C: drive for "persdict" and "dictionary" as file names,
but neither of them are anywhere on that disk

dantu

anthony darden wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:39:15 -0500, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>That sounded promising, but nowhere on my computer is there a file
>>>called that. I scanned my whole disk where Mozilla is installed for
>>>that file, but turned up nothing at all.
>>>

>>And have you gone to Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder options - click
>>the View tab - and make sure you can see Hidden Files and Folders?
>>
>>do that and try again.
>>

>I have verified that my Windows Explorer has "see hidden files and
>folders" selected. I found a likely sounding folder named C:\Program
>Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\defaults\profile\US , but its files are a
>folder named "chrome" and 5 other files, bookmarks.html,
>localstore.rdf, panels.rdf. mimeTypes.rdf, and search.rdf .
>
>I still cannot find the dictionary additions file. Any other thoughts?
>
>I searched my C: drive for "persdict" and "dictionary" as file names,
>but neither of them are anywhere on that disk

Why are you looking in the defaults directory? It wont be there, its not
a default file, its a custom one.

This is where your profiles are

Windows

On Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME (without log-in), the
profile directory is typically
C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User
Profile]\[random string].slt\

On Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME with log-in, the profile
directory is typically
C:\Windows\Profiles\[Log-in Name]\Application
Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\

On Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the profile directory is typically
C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application
Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\

Note: on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the Document and Settings
directory is hidden twice. To access the directory, enable Windows
Explorer to view System and Hidden directories and files.

If you look in the profiles, then you should find the file.

anthony darden

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:20:52 GMT, dantu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Thanks, dantu! I found the file! It appears that my XP search has a
bug, because the file was there, but my XP's Start>search couldn't
find it. I'll look for another file searcher, now!

>anthony darden wrote:

>>>And have you gone to Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder options - click
>>>the View tab - and make sure you can see Hidden Files and Folders?
>>>
>>>do that and try again.
>>>

>>I have verified that my Windows Explorer has "see hidden files and
>>folders" selected. I found a likely sounding folder named C:\Program
>>Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\defaults\profile\US , but its files are a
>>folder named "chrome" and 5 other files, bookmarks.html,
>>localstore.rdf, panels.rdf. mimeTypes.rdf, and search.rdf .
>>
>>I still cannot find the dictionary additions file. Any other thoughts?
>>
>>I searched my C: drive for "persdict" and "dictionary" as file names,
>>but neither of them are anywhere on that disk
>>

>Why are you looking in the defaults directory? It wont be there, its not
>a default file, its a custom one.
>
>This is where your profiles are
>
>Windows
>
> On Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME (without log-in), the
> profile directory is typically
> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User
> Profile]\[random string].slt\
>
> On Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME with log-in, the profile
> directory is typically
> C:\Windows\Profiles\[Log-in Name]\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\
>
> On Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the profile directory is typically
> C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\
>
> Note: on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the Document and Settings
> directory is hidden twice. To access the directory, enable Windows
> Explorer to view System and Hidden directories and files.
>
>If you look in the profiles, then you should find the file.

Leonidas Jones

anthony darden wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:20:52 GMT, dantu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Thanks, dantu! I found the file! It appears that my XP search has a
> bug, because the file was there, but my XP's Start>search couldn't
> find it. I'll look for another file searcher, now!
>

>>anthony darden wrote:

>>>I have verified that my Windows Explorer has "see hidden files and
>>>folders" selected. I found a likely sounding folder named C:\Program
>>>Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\defaults\profile\US , but its files are a
>>>folder named "chrome" and 5 other files, bookmarks.html,
>>>localstore.rdf, panels.rdf. mimeTypes.rdf, and search.rdf .
>>>
>>>I still cannot find the dictionary additions file. Any other thoughts?
>>>
>>>I searched my C: drive for "persdict" and "dictionary" as file names,
>>>but neither of them are anywhere on that disk
>>>

>>Why are you looking in the defaults directory? It wont be there, its not
>>a default file, its a custom one.
>>
>>This is where your profiles are
>>
>>Windows
>>
>> On Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME (without log-in), the
>> profile directory is typically
>> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User
>> Profile]\[random string].slt\
>>
>> On Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME with log-in, the profile
>> directory is typically
>> C:\Windows\Profiles\[Log-in Name]\Application
>> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\
>>
>> On Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the profile directory is typically
>> C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application
>> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\
>>
>> Note: on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the Document and Settings
>> directory is hidden twice. To access the directory, enable Windows
>> Explorer to view System and Hidden directories and files.
>>
>>If you look in the profiles, then you should find the file.

Make sure that XP is set to display hidden files and folders.

Lee