Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > FILE * friom C to ruby with swig

Reply
Thread Tools

FILE * friom C to ruby with swig

 
 
Lyes Amazouz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2008
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

Hello list,

I have written a function which prototype is:

FILE * getContent (void * objetc, char * code);

This function a FILE * to a temporary file it fill with user data, and copy
in "code" (with strcpy) some string

I warpedd this function with Swig, but when I call it from a Ruby script, I
have two problems:

1- The class of the function output in Ruby is <SWIG::TYPE_p_FILE>, what is
this class? I looked for it in the net by without results, Hows can I
recover the data from my temporary file with this?

2- when I call this function from a C program, the variable code will
contain a string value that the function copy to it from an other variable
in internal. and with a C program, the content of the variable code is
updated very well. But when I call the wrapped function from a Ruby script,
the argument code stays empty (empty string "")? How have to give this
argument in such way that it will be modified?

thank you


--
===========
| Lyes Amazouz
| USTHB, Algiers
===========

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alex Fenton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2008
Lyes Amazouz wrote:

> I have written a function which prototype is:
>
> FILE * getContent (void * objetc, char * code);
>
> This function a FILE * to a temporary file it fill with user data, and copy
> in "code" (with strcpy) some string
>
> I warpedd this function with Swig, but when I call it from a Ruby script, I
> have two problems:
>
> 1- The class of the function output in Ruby is <SWIG::TYPE_p_FILE>, what is
> this class? I looked for it in the net by without results, Hows can I
> recover the data from my temporary file with this?


<SWIG::TYPE_p_XXX> is what SWIG returns when it doesn't know how to deal
with the type returned by a C function. It's an opaque and useless
pointer. You need to deal with FILE* - typically by using a
%typemap(out) - in some way.

I don't know exactly how to deal with FILE* - there may be a standard
SWIG typemap to deal with this, or you might search for examples to
convert it to a Ruby File object.

> 2- when I call this function from a C program, the variable code will
> contain a string value that the function copy to it from an other variable
> in internal. and with a C program, the content of the variable code is
> updated very well. But when I call the wrapped function from a Ruby script,
> the argument code stays empty (empty string "")? How have to give this
> argument in such way that it will be modified?


Passing in a char* buffer which is modified by a function is a very
common idiom in C, but it's un-rubyish. Again, you'll need a
%typemap(in) or write a wrapper function. Have a look at the *INOUT
standard typemaps in SWIG.

Usually the most natural ruby way to deal with this is to use
%typemap(in,numinputs=0) and return two VALUEs to ruby, the file object
and a new string.

alex
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michal Suchanek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2008
On 21/08/2008, Lyes Amazouz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have written a function which prototype is:
>
> FILE * getContent (void * objetc, char * code);
>
> This function a FILE * to a temporary file it fill with user data, and copy
> in "code" (with strcpy) some string
>
> I warpedd this function with Swig, but when I call it from a Ruby script, I
> have two problems:
>
> 1- The class of the function output in Ruby is <SWIG::TYPE_p_FILE>, what is
> this class? I looked for it in the net by without results, Hows can I
> recover the data from my temporary file with this?


What you get is a FILE * object which ruby cannot handle. However, you
can use Swig to write read and write methods for this object, and you
could then get at the data.

Or you could rewrite your C function to return a file descriptor
rather than a FILE * object, and update the Swig wrapper to turn the
file descriptor into an IO object (using IO::for_fd) that you can use
in Ruby without problems. Or you could just use the automatic Swig
wrapper, and wrap the function once more in ruby to turn the fd into
IO.

>
> 2- when I call this function from a C program, the variable code will
> contain a string value that the function copy to it from an other variable
> in internal. and with a C program, the content of the variable code is
> updated very well. But when I call the wrapped function from a Ruby script,
> the argument code stays empty (empty string "")? How have to give this
> argument in such way that it will be modified?


I haven't seen your Swig code (and I am not proficient with Swig
anyway but others might figure out something when they look at it) but
my guess is that autogenerated wrappers should convert String to char
* just fine.

What might confuse the generator is the first argument which has no
apparent type, and you have to extract some C value from the argument
passed to the wrapped function. Which means that you will probably
have to write a manual wrapper or even multiple wrappers that convert
the first argument in different ways, and perhaps pass a different
second argument based on the conversion of the first argument.

Generally I have no idea what the function is supposed to do so I
cannot tell you how it could be wrapped.

HTH

Michal

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lyes Amazouz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2008
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

OK, thank you all, I will try your suggets!

--
===========
| Lyes Amazouz
| USTHB, Algiers
===========

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SWIG vs Ruby/DL Martin DeMello Ruby 8 10-07-2004 06:01 PM
Questions about SWIG, Ruby/DL and embedding calls to ruby withinC++ Code Charles Comstock Ruby 1 06-25-2004 09:49 PM
Phil Tomson's article on SWIG, Ruby and C Robert McGovern Ruby 0 02-09-2004 12:42 PM
Ruby and Swig -- creating Pointers (typedef) RubyQuestions Ruby 3 01-13-2004 09:46 PM
Article on SWIG & Ruby in January 2004 Issue of CUJ lyle@knology.net Ruby 0 12-16-2003 02:46 PM



Advertisments