Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Newby Help

Newby Help

Ron Gunsolus

I've just found ruby and want to teach it to my son & myself, and have
found several tutorials that will work fine, I've loaded ruby on my pc
(the newest version) I've written a small sample program prog.rb - when
i try to run it from the command prompt it doesnt recognize the
command... It's been a dozen years since I've programmed anythig, and
was never good, but think it may have something to do with my default
paths? Please help me just get ruby running properly - i tried looking
through the posts, but didnt find anything in my searching, but i'm sure
it because I didnt know where to look. Many many thanks.
-Ron

Peña, Botp

RnJvbTogUm9uIEd1bnNvbHVzIFttYWlsdG86cmd1bnNvbHVzQH lhaG9vLmNvbV0gDQojIGkgdHJ5
IHRvIHJ1biBpdCBmcm9tIHRoZSBjb21tYW5kIHByb21wdCBpdC Bkb2VzbnQgcmVjb2duaXplIHRo
ZQ0KIyBjb21tYW5kLi4uIA0KDQp5b3UgZm9yZ290IHRvIHBvc3 QgeW91ciBzYW1wbGUgcHJvZ3Jh
bSBhbmQgdGhlIG91dHB1dC9yZXN1bHQvZXJyb3JzDQoNCmtpbm QgcmVnYXJkcyAtYm90cA0KDQo=

Michael Morin

Ron Gunsolus wrote:
> I've just found ruby and want to teach it to my son & myself, and have
> found several tutorials that will work fine, I've loaded ruby on my pc
> (the newest version) I've written a small sample program prog.rb - when
> i try to run it from the command prompt it doesnt recognize the
> command... It's been a dozen years since I've programmed anythig, and
> was never good, but think it may have something to do with my default
> paths? Please help me just get ruby running properly - i tried looking
> through the posts, but didnt find anything in my searching, but i'm sure
> it because I didnt know where to look. Many many thanks.
> -Ron

You need to give more information such as which platform (Windows, OSX,
Linux), version, version of Ruby, how you installed it and how you tried
to launch the program.

Also, these links might help you.

http://ruby.about.com/od/tutorials/a/installruby.htm
http://ruby.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/commandline.htm

--
Michael Morin
Guide to Ruby

Phlip

Ron Gunsolus wrote:

> i try to run it from the command prompt it doesnt recognize the
> command...

Enter these on the command line:

> ruby -v
> ruby prog.rb

The first should report your ruby --version, and the second has a shot at
running the program!

Next, if you use the One Click Installer, run its Scite program. That lets you
just hit <F5> each time you change the code.

--
Phlip