Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Segmentation fault when running Rails on Windows Server 2008

Segmentation fault when running Rails on Windows Server 2008

Arrix

I am trying to run Ruby on Rails 2.1 with Webrick on Windows Server 2008.
The server can start properly, but the ruby interpreter crashes after making
several requests([BUG] Segmentation fault).

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

I guess it may have something to do with the address space layout
randomization feature of Server 2008, which is the only relevant difference
I can think of between Vista and Server 2008.
http://en.wikipedia.org/Fwiki/FAddre..._randomization

My ruby version: ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i386-mswin32]
1.8.7 p72 has the same problem.

Here is the problem details displayed by windows:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ruby.exe
Application Version: 1.8.6.0
Application Timestamp: 48a0d73f
Fault Module Name: msvcrt-ruby18.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.8.6.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 48a0d73e
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 000267f4
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.274.10
Locale ID: 2052
Additional Information 1: 098b
Additional Information 2: 47c870d699be79dff40eb676512ccda0
Additional Information 3: cf8c
Additional Information 4: f51b2f0fb11b8474eb213ea63188c4f8

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409

--
Arrix

Roger Pack

Arrix wrote:
> I am trying to run Ruby on Rails 2.1 with Webrick on Windows Server
> 2008.
> The server can start properly, but the ruby interpreter crashes after
> making
> several requests([BUG] Segmentation fault).
>
> Has anyone experienced similar problems?

If you get truly desperate and have some free time on your hands, you
could try building the mingw version of ruby [with the -g passed in so
that it has debug symbols] then run it under mingw gdb. Then at least
you can have a fighting chance of finding out where the error is
occurring. I haven't run into it, no.
-=R
[1]
http://www.akitaonrails.com/2008/7/2...uby-on-windows