Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Pure Ruby App that receives events

Pure Ruby App that receives events

Perry Smith

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a Ruby application that
receives Apple Events? I assume it would be in an event loop. Really,
what I'm asking is if I can create a pure Ruby app that behaves like a
"first class" application as Apple has promised.

Thank you,
pedz

Dolazy

On 10 aug, 15:53, Perry Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to have a Ruby application that
> receives Apple Events? *I assume it would be in an event loop. *Really,
> what I'm asking is if I can create a pure Ruby app that behaves like a
> "first class" application as Apple has promised.

It may not be a bad idea to do a few standard Cocoa with Objective-C
tutorials and familiarize yourself with the framework a bit.

If you want to use Ruby there is a Cocoa wrapper called RubyCocoa, it
is supported by Apple:
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...roduction.html

I found one article that seems to deal with events:
http://codeintensity.blogspot.com/20...coa-rocks.html

HTH

Francis

hengist podd

Dolazy wrote:
> I found one article that seems to deal with events:
> http://codeintensity.blogspot.com/20...coa-rocks.html

Installing event handlers via NSAppleEventManager is fine for simple
tasks. For full-blown scripting interfaces that expose a query-able
object model a-la Finder, Mail, etc., Cocoa Scripting would be more
appropriate (if a bear to get right). Matt Neuburg - who often lurks
around this list - would be the best person to speak to.

HTH

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net

John Joyce

On Aug 10, 2008, at 3:20 PM, hengist podd wrote:

> Dolazy wrote:
>> I found one article that seems to deal with events:
>> http://codeintensity.blogspot.com/20...coa-rocks.html

> Installing event handlers via NSAppleEventManager is fine for simple
> tasks. For full-blown scripting interfaces that expose a query-able
> object model a-la Finder, Mail, etc., Cocoa Scripting would be more
> appropriate (if a bear to get right). Matt Neuburg - who often lurks
> around this list - would be the best person to speak to.
>
> HTH
>
> has
> --
> Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
> http://appscript.sourceforge.net

Also take a look at MacRuby
It is still in it's formative stages, but is the next level of
bridging Ruby and Cocoa.