Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > gem native extension installer failure on winxp pro 64 system

gem native extension installer failure on winxp pro 64 system

David Southwell

Here is the shell error:
C:\ ..........> gem update
Updating installed gems
Updating fxruby
Successfulyy installed fxruby-1.6.16-x86-mswin32-60
Updating haml
Successfully installed haml-2.0.2
Updating hpricot
Building Native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: While executing gem.... (Gem::Installer::ExyensionBuildError)
ERROR: failed to build gem native extension

Path was given to gem.make.out file which reads:

C:/Program Files (x86)/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb update
'C:/Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

At first glance it seems the update script does not specify path correctly
specified for platform.
--------------------

Does anyone know how to fix this?

David

Roger Pack

David Southwell wrote:
> Here is the shell error:
> C:\ ..........> gem update
> Updating installed gems
> Updating fxruby
> Successfulyy installed fxruby-1.6.16-x86-mswin32-60
> Updating haml
> Successfully installed haml-2.0.2
> Updating hpricot
> Building Native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: While executing gem.... (Gem::Installer::ExyensionBuildError)
> ERROR: failed to build gem native extension
>
> Path was given to gem.make.out file which reads:
>
> C:/Program Files (x86)/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb update
> 'C:/Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> At first glance it seems the update script does not specify path
> correctly
> specified for platform.
> --------------------
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?
>
> David

Looks like with hpricot the latest version doesn't come with a
pre-compiled binary. So avoid that, or install VC6 or mingw + mingw
ruby. Maybe
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/162401#new
-R

David Southwell

On Monday 11 August 2008 10:22:25 Roger Pack wrote:
> David Southwell wrote:
> > Here is the shell error:
> > C:\ ..........> gem update
> > Updating installed gems
> > Updating fxruby
> > Successfulyy installed fxruby-1.6.16-x86-mswin32-60
> > Updating haml
> > Successfully installed haml-2.0.2
> > Updating hpricot
> > Building Native extensions. This could take a while...
> > ERROR: While executing gem.... (Gem::Installer::ExyensionBuildError)
> > ERROR: failed to build gem native extension
> >
> > Path was given to gem.make.out file which reads:
> >
> > C:/Program Files (x86)/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb update
> > 'C:/Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> > operable program or batch file.
> >
> > At first glance it seems the update script does not specify path
> > correctly
> > specified for platform.
> > --------------------
> >
> > Does anyone know how to fix this?
> >
> > David

> Looks like with hpricot the latest version doesn't come with a
> pre-compiled binary. So avoid that, or install VC6 or mingw + mingw
> ruby. Maybe
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/162401#new
> -R

VC6 is installed. This seems to be a pathing error in the install script which
is looking for C:\program rather than C:\program files (86) which is the
appropriate path on win 64. All other gems install fine- this problem only
occurs with hpricot.

David

Roger Pack

> appropriate path on win 64. All other gems install fine- this problem
> only
> occurs with hpricot.
>
> David

Looks like it might be an hpricot bug then. Either hack out a fix or
post a bug or both, I guess.
GL.
-R

Eric Hodel

On Aug 9, 2008, at 06:44 AM, David Southwell wrote:

> Here is the shell error:
> C:\ ..........> gem update
> Updating installed gems
> Updating fxruby
> Successfulyy installed fxruby-1.6.16-x86-mswin32-60
> Updating haml
> Successfully installed haml-2.0.2
> Updating hpricot
> Building Native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: While executing gem.... (Gem::Installer::ExyensionBuildError)
> ERROR: failed to build gem native extension
>
> Path was given to gem.make.out file which reads:
>
> C:/Program Files (x86)/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb update
> 'C:/Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> At first glance it seems the update script does not specify path
> correctly
> specified for platform.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?

Update RubyGems (and, probably, everything else) to handle paths with
spaces.