Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Weird: Just unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip -- no Ruby.exe

Weird: Just unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip -- no Ruby.exe

RichardOnRails

Hi,

I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
over WinXP-Pro/SP2. I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
Window's PATH. All worked well for a good while.

I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
regexps. I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin. When
the ruby.exe command didn't work, a search of the 1.9 installed
revealed the absence of that file.

Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
more of my stupid mistakes?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.

Cheers,
Richard

Luis Lavena

On Aug 2, 7:54*am, RichardOnRails
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
> over WinXP-Pro/SP2. *I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
> Window's PATH. *All worked well for a good while.
>
> I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
> regexps. *I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
> houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin. *When
> the ruby.exe command didn't work, *a search of the 1.9 installed
> revealed the absence of that file.
>
> Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
> more of my stupid mistakes?
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.

Hello Richard,

You extracted the source package of Ruby 1.9 and not a Windows binary.

As part of the One-Click Installer team i didn0t pursue a release of
1.9 for Windows since:

# 1.9 is developer oriented and not end user, the availability of the
package will make a lot of user try to upgrade and break their setups.

# 1.9 introduce changes that require a deeper analysis of the gems and
extensions bundled with One-Click installer which will require a lot
of time, besides depending on external development teams to provide
the updated versions (which most of them are under development).

I think those two points are good ones, but feel free to disagree with
me.

If you're really interested in 1.9 binaries, you can grab the windows
barebone version from garbagecollect:

http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/

Look into the development snapshots in the sidebar.

Also you will find a good reading over there.

On a side note, is not a good practice just extract on top of
something that was working, you could break it

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena

Harry Kakueki

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, RichardOnRails
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
> over WinXP-Pro/SP2. I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
> Window's PATH. All worked well for a good while.
>
> I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
> regexps. I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
> houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin. When
> the ruby.exe command didn't work, a search of the 1.9 installed
> revealed the absence of that file.
>
> Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
> more of my stupid mistakes?
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.
>
> Cheers,
> Richard

A post recently (7/2 went through Ruby List that talks about Ruby
1.9.0-3 compiled with VC++6..

I am not using Windows and I don't know much more about this.
But if you are interested, there is a link at my website.
Now it is the first link at the top.

Harry

--
A Look into Japanese Ruby List in English
http://www.kakueki.com/ruby/list.html

RichardOnRails

Hi Luis,

Thanks a lot for your very insightful reply.

> > Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
> > more of my stupid mistakes?

> You extracted the source package of Ruby 1.9 and not a Windows binary.

Wow, it was stupid of me not to recognize that

> As part of the One-Click Installer team i didn0t pursue a release of
> 1.9 for Windows since [snip]
> but feel free to disagree with me.

Disagreeing with you would compound my stupidit

> http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/
> Look into the development snapshots in the sidebar.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

> On a side note, is not a good practice just extract on top of
> something that was working, you could break it

At least I didn't make that mistake; I only need to restore 1.8.6's
bin path to Window's PATH.

Again, thank you for the education.

Best wishes,
Richard

RichardOnRails

On Aug 2, 7:48 am, Harry Kakueki <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, RichardOnRails
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
> > over WinXP-Pro/SP2. I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
> > Window's PATH. All worked well for a good while.

> > I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
> > regexps. I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
> > houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin. When
> > the ruby.exe command didn't work, a search of the 1.9 installed
> > revealed the absence of that file.

> > Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
> > more of my stupid mistakes?

> > Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.

> > Cheers,
> > Richard

> A post recently (7/2 went through Ruby List that talks about Ruby
> 1.9.0-3 compiled with VC++6..
>
> I am not using Windows and I don't know much more about this.
> But if you are interested, there is a link at my website.
> Now it is the first link at the top.
>
> Harry
>
> --
> A Look into Japanese Ruby List in Englishhttp://www.kakueki.com/ruby/list.html

Hi Harry,

> A Look into Japanese Ruby List in English ...

Thanks for that link, both for the .msi and the site itself: The
combination of English and Japanese is beautifully presented.
(However, I never got beyond "Shogun" in my Japanese education.)

The .msi is exactly what I need. Since the site also provides the MD5
code for the package, I thought it's about time for my to start
checking the download.

If you have the time, could you take a look at my code below which
probably erroneously claims the package doesn't match the MD5 string?

Best wishes,
Richard

# ValidateMD5.rb
# K:\_Projects\Ruby\_Ruby_Techniques\MD5Validataion

require "md5"

file = DATA.gets.chomp
md5_tgt = DATA.gets.chomp
md5_result = MD5.new(file).hexdigest
OK = (md5_result == md5_tgt)
puts "File " + (OK ? "Valid" : "Invalid")

__END__
K:\_Downloads\Ruby\Ruby-1.9.0.msi
9cc8e8a4802f840b192e63f9ee17ab49

RichardOnRails

On Aug 2, 7:48 am, Harry Kakueki <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, RichardOnRails
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
> > over WinXP-Pro/SP2. I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
> > Window's PATH. All worked well for a good while.

> > I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
> > regexps. I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
> > houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin. When
> > the ruby.exe command didn't work, a search of the 1.9 installed
> > revealed the absence of that file.

> > Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
> > more of my stupid mistakes?

> > Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.

> > Cheers,
> > Richard

> A post recently (7/2 went through Ruby List that talks about Ruby
> 1.9.0-3 compiled with VC++6..
>
> I am not using Windows and I don't know much more about this.
> But if you are interested, there is a link at my website.
> Now it is the first link at the top.
>
> Harry
>
> --
> A Look into Japanese Ruby List in Englishhttp://www.kakueki.com/ruby/list.html

Hi again, Harry,

Please ignore my MD5 question. I just realized I compared against
merely the file NAME, not its content.

I'll probably be OK from here on.

Again, Thanks,
Richard

RichardOnRails

On Aug 2, 7:48 am, Harry Kakueki <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, RichardOnRails
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I've been running ruby186-26_rc2 installed from ruby186-26_rc2.exe
> > over WinXP-Pro/SP2. I manually installed a the path of ruby.exe in
> > Window's PATH. All worked well for a good while.

> > I decided to upgrade to 1.9 because I wanted look-behind in Ruby
> > regexps. I unzipped ruby-1.9.0-2.zip into the same directory that
> > houses 1.8.6-rc2 and adjusted the PATH to point to the 1.9 bin. When
> > the ruby.exe command didn't work, a search of the 1.9 installed
> > revealed the absence of that file.

> > Did I grab the wrong package for this installation, or is just one
> > more of my stupid mistakes?

> > Thanks in advance for any guidance you may offer.

> > Cheers,
> > Richard

> A post recently (7/2 went through Ruby List that talks about Ruby
> 1.9.0-3 compiled with VC++6..
>
> I am not using Windows and I don't know much more about this.
> But if you are interested, there is a link at my website.
> Now it is the first link at the top.
>
> Harry
>
> --
> A Look into Japanese Ruby List in Englishhttp://www.kakueki.com/ruby/list.html

OK, Harry,

Just to prove I did it, below is my snippet the validated the .msi.
I know it's no big deal to you, but it's one more small step in the
long path to Ruby/Rails mastery.

I bookmarked your website so I'm sure I'll find other pearls there
from time to time.

Again, thanks and best wishes,
Richard

# ValidateMD5.rb
# K:\_Projects\Ruby\_Ruby_Techniques\MD5Validataion

require "md5"

filename = DATA.gets.chomp
md5_tgt = DATA.gets.chomp
filesize = DATA.gets.chomp.gsub(/,/, "").to_i
content = File.new(filename,"rb").read
puts filesize
puts content.size
md5_result = MD5.new(content).hexdigest
OK = (md5_result == md5_tgt)
puts "File " + (OK ? "Valid" : "Invalid")

__END__
K:\_Downloads\Ruby\Ruby-1.9.0.msi
9cc8e8a4802f840b192e63f9ee17ab49
14,262,272