Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > p4 hyperthreading & web gardening

p4 hyperthreading & web gardening

Param - Home

Hi all, we are in the process of getting a new server and wanted to know
whether it is worth getting a dual cpu or just a single cpu like a p4 3ghz
with hyperthreading? How does asp.net web gardening work with hyperthreading
cpus?

TIA!

Lucas Tam

"Param - Home" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eWu3rNkhEHA.2764
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

> Hi all, we are in the process of getting a new server and wanted to know
> whether it is worth getting a dual cpu

No one can really tell you unless we know what type of software you're
trying to run, how many hits, etc. There are many variables.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Mark Rae

"Param - Home" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, we are in the process of getting a new server and wanted to know
> whether it is worth getting a dual cpu or just a single cpu like a p4 3ghz
> with hyperthreading? How does asp.net web gardening work with

hyperthreading
> cpus?

Bit more info, please...

RP

Well let me try to put it this way. Our current server is a dual cpu p4
1ghz+ (web gardening turned on) which serves the load fine. We are trying to
upgrade in lieu of 2 boxes - single cpu p4 3.0ghz with HT. I guess what I am
trying to get at is does asp.net take full use of HT? If not I may as well
spend lesser money and get a plain old P4 without HT.

thanks!

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Param - Home" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all, we are in the process of getting a new server and wanted to know
> > whether it is worth getting a dual cpu or just a single cpu like a p4

3ghz
> > with hyperthreading? How does asp.net web gardening work with

> hyperthreading
> > cpus?

> Bit more info, please...

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Read the white paper on hyper threading. it will guide you appropriately.
basically, hp offers significant performance improvements when the
application is written in such a way to take advantage of HP, otherwise it
doesn't. it's a bit more complicated than a yes/no issue really.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
"RP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well let me try to put it this way. Our current server is a dual cpu p4
> 1ghz+ (web gardening turned on) which serves the load fine. We are trying
> upgrade in lieu of 2 boxes - single cpu p4 3.0ghz with HT. I guess what I
> am
> trying to get at is does asp.net take full use of HT? If not I may as well
> spend lesser money and get a plain old P4 without HT.
>
> thanks!
>
> "Mark Rae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Param - Home" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi all, we are in the process of getting a new server and wanted to
>> > know
>> > whether it is worth getting a dual cpu or just a single cpu like a p4

> 3ghz
>> > with hyperthreading? How does asp.net web gardening work with

>> hyperthreading
>> > cpus?

>> Bit more info, please...

RP

Where can I find this white paper? I found one on Windows XP and HT but
nothing on asp.net & HT.

thanks!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Read the white paper on hyper threading. it will guide you appropriately.
> basically, hp offers significant performance improvements when the
> application is written in such a way to take advantage of HP, otherwise it
> doesn't. it's a bit more complicated than a yes/no issue really.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney
> "RP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well let me try to put it this way. Our current server is a dual cpu p4
> > 1ghz+ (web gardening turned on) which serves the load fine. We are

trying
> > upgrade in lieu of 2 boxes - single cpu p4 3.0ghz with HT. I guess what

> > am
> > trying to get at is does asp.net take full use of HT? If not I may as

well
> > spend lesser money and get a plain old P4 without HT.
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > "Mark Rae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> "Param - Home" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > 3ghz
> >> hyperthreading
> >>
> >> Bit more info, please...

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

i am not aware that there is one. the information is applicable to asp.net
anyway.