Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > weird deadlock message

weird deadlock message

Roger Pack

So...I run an app with three threads running, it churns for awhile,
then..

/lib/logger.rb:88:in `flush': Thread(0x346fc): deadlock (fatal)
from ./lib/logger.rb:88:in `log'
from driver.rb:547:in `go'
from driver.rb:784:in `doAllPeersWithDelta'
from driver.rb:783:in `times'
from driver.rb:783:in `doAllPeersWithDelta'
from driver.rb:1004:in `startAllPeersAndWaitForCompletion'
from driver.rb:708:in `doSingleRunWithCurrentSettings'
from driver.rb:474:in `doMultiple'
from driver.rb:463:in `upto'

This is flush called on a file socket. deadlock flushing a file? Bug?
Thoughts?
=R

ara.t.howard

On Jul 17, 2008, at 6:40 PM, Roger Pack wrote:

> ./lib/logger.rb:88:in `flush': Thread(0x346fc): deadlock (fatal)
> from ./lib/logger.rb:88:in `log'
> from driver.rb:547:in `go'
> from driver.rb:784:in `doAllPeersWithDelta'
> from driver.rb:783:in `times'
> from driver.rb:783:in `doAllPeersWithDelta'
> from driver.rb:1004:in `startAllPeersAndWaitForCompletion'
> from driver.rb:708:in `doSingleRunWithCurrentSettings'
> from driver.rb:474:in `doMultiple'
> from driver.rb:463:in `upto'
>

> This is flush called on a file socket. deadlock flushing a file? Bug?
> Thoughts?

it's not a file flushing, it's logger class, check out the stacktrace
- probably you have a thread bug there - looks like soap btw,
sorry!

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Roger Pack

> it's not a file flushing, it's logger class, check out the stacktrace
> - probably you have a thread bug there - looks like soap btw,
> sorry!

Thankfully it's not soap soap is dirty! lol.
Yeah it's my own logger class calling flush on a file descriptor. Any
thoughts? Ruby Bug?
-R

ara.t.howard

On Jul 17, 2008, at 9:28 PM, Roger Pack wrote:

> Thankfully it's not soap soap is dirty! lol.

i agree!

> Yeah it's my own logger class calling flush on a file descriptor. Any
> thoughts? Ruby Bug?

hrrrm - dunno. paste the code?

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Roger Pack

> hrrrm - dunno. paste the code?
>
> a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

def log(message)
begin
newMessage = formatMessage(message)
print newMessage unless @@output_to_file_only_not_screen
if !@logFile or @logFile.closed?
print "ERROR LOGGING THIS!!!" << newMessage << "\n\n\n"
return
end
assert @logFile and !@logFile.closed?
@logFile.write(newMessage)
@logFile.flush # THIS LINE FAILS DEADLOCK. As a side note, I've
had it fail on win32 for me on this line with an EBADF, but the instance
in question is a deadlock in mac os x, using 1.8.6 or 1.8.7 SVN.
rescue Exception => detail # obviously this does not catch the
exception 'deadlock'
end
end

An over aggressive deadlock bug? A faulty fastthread?
It might be another of those cruddy OS X bugs. Knowing my luck. [1]
Note that in a similar but slightly different configuration it actually
has one thread 'freeze' when it is opening a file [like File.new 'abc',
'w'].
The fix thus far has been to avoid using threads, as I have never seen
it in a single threaded environment. Cross your fingers, anyway.

Thanks for your help
-R

[1] http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/153559