Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > app-to-app message exchange

app-to-app message exchange

Karl Smith

I'm probably not using the correct terms, so please excuse...

I need to have a ruby app that loops and keeps a serial port open,
essentially listening every second or so. then I need to send messages
to that serial port app so that it can send outgoing messages, as in a
queue fashion, from other ruby apps.

Is there a gem that can handle cross ruby application message queues?

Joel VanderWerf

Karl Smith wrote:
> I'm probably not using the correct terms, so please excuse...
>
> I need to have a ruby app that loops and keeps a serial port open,
> essentially listening every second or so. then I need to send messages
> to that serial port app so that it can send outgoing messages, as in a
> queue fashion, from other ruby apps.
>
> Is there a gem that can handle cross ruby application message queues?

Drb is one option (not a gem, but std lib). Much more general than
message queues, but it does that too. It will only work between ruby
processes, though.