Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Text Editor

Text Editor

Jacob Grover

Hello, I've been wondering for a long time if there's an Internet text
editor for at least Ruby because I've been teaching one of my friends
over e-mail and he can't download a text editor for ruby, any help?

Craig Demyanovich

You can write Ruby code in any text editor. Is your friend not using one,
i.e., is your friend only using irb?

Something else your friend can use is "try ruby!" [
http://tryruby.hobix.com/ ] to experiment with Ruby in his web browser.

If in fact your friend can install/use an editor, maybe the two of you can
use something like SubEthaEdit [ http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/ ]
on Mac OS X or a similar editor on another platform. Editors like
SubEthaEdit allow you both to use the same editor at the same time. Couple
that with an audio/video call, and you could have some great coding sessions
together.

Regards,
Craig

David Masover

On Monday 14 July 2008 09:08:24 Jacob Grover wrote:
> Hello, I've been wondering for a long time if there's an Internet text
> editor for at least Ruby because I've been teaching one of my friends
> over e-mail and he can't download a text editor for ruby, any help?

You do realize that there's nothing magical about a "ruby" text editor, right?
Your friend could as easily use Notepad -- or TextEdit on the Mac -- and any
Linux/Unix will have several available out of the box.

A text editor with specific knowledge of Ruby will give you syntax
highlighting, which makes it a lot nicer. But it's not a requirement.

chasman

On Jul 14, 10:22*am, David Masover <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2008 09:08:24 Jacob Grover wrote:
>
> > Hello, I've been wondering for a long time if there's an Internet text
> > editor for at least Ruby because I've been teaching one of my friends
> > over e-mail and he can't download a text editor for ruby, any help?

> You do realize that there's nothing magical about a "ruby" text editor, right?
> Your friend could as easily use Notepad -- or TextEdit on the Mac -- and any
> Linux/Unix will have several available out of the box.
>
> A text editor with specific knowledge of Ruby will give you syntax
> highlighting, which makes it a lot nicer. But it's not a requirement.

For a Web based text editor try Google Docs.
For a Web based Ruby IDE with editor try http://heroku.com/

Charles M of Lexington

Reid Thompson

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 23:19 +0900, Craig Demyanovich wrote:
> You can write Ruby code in any text editor. Is your friend not using one,
> i.e., is your friend only using irb?
>
> Something else your friend can use is "try ruby!" [
> http://tryruby.hobix.com/ ] to experiment with Ruby in his web browser.
>
> If in fact your friend can install/use an editor, maybe the two of you can
> use something like SubEthaEdit [ http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/ ]
> on Mac OS X or a similar editor on another platform. Editors like
> SubEthaEdit allow you both to use the same editor at the same time. Couple
> that with an audio/video call, and you could have some great coding sessions
> together.
>
> Regards,
> Craig

http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/

gobby is a free, collabortive editor also...

http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/wiki/Screenshots

Reid Thompson

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 16:27 -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 23:19 +0900, Craig Demyanovich wrote:
> > You can write Ruby code in any text editor. Is your friend not using one,
> > i.e., is your friend only using irb?
> >
> > Something else your friend can use is "try ruby!" [
> > http://tryruby.hobix.com/ ] to experiment with Ruby in his web browser.
> >
> > If in fact your friend can install/use an editor, maybe the two of you can
> > use something like SubEthaEdit [ http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/ ]
> > on Mac OS X or a similar editor on another platform. Editors like
> > SubEthaEdit allow you both to use the same editor at the same time. Couple
> > that with an audio/video call, and you could have some great coding sessions
> > together.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Craig

> http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/
>
> gobby is a free, collabortive editor also...
>
> http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/wiki/Screenshots

just noticed that one of the screenshots is of ruby code

http://gobby.0x539.de/screenshots/go...-dev-linux.png

Nando Sanchez

Jacob Grover wrote:
> Hello, I've been wondering for a long time if there's an Internet text
> editor for at least Ruby because I've been teaching one of my friends
> over e-mail and he can't download a text editor for ruby, any help?

When you install "Instant Ruby" you get SciTE, a good editor with syntax
highlighling.

If you are looking for good syntax highlighting in an IDE, then you can
use Netbeans (www.netbeans.org). This IDE includes an Editor that
handles not only Ruby but Java, C++ and others, and the IDE let's you
create ruby projects, debug and run them directly from the IDE.

Rgds,

Nando

Vince Angeloni

I guess it would be helpful if we knew whether your friend has a Mac or
a PC.

I'm on a Mac, so my suggestions are:

any text editor will work, but if you want syntax highlighting then use

Text Wrangler (Bare bones software) -- free
Textmate -- not free

hth,
vince

Tommy Nordgren

On 15 jul 2008, at 00.09, Vince Angeloni wrote:

> I guess it would be helpful if we knew whether your friend has a Mac
> or
> a PC.
>
> I'm on a Mac, so my suggestions are:
>
> any text editor will work, but if you want syntax highlighting then
> use
>
> Text Wrangler (Bare bones software) -- free
> Textmate -- not free
>
> hth,
> vince

Or Smultron, Emacs.app, AquaMacs EMacs, Alpha
All are open source, and can be extended to support syntax
highlighting of any
programming language. At least smultron, and the two Emacs versions
listed
have a ruby mode.
-------------------------------------
This sig is dedicated to the advancement of Nuclear Power
Tommy Nordgren

Jacob Grover

chasman wrote:
> On Jul 14, 10:22´┐Żam, David Masover <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A text editor with specific knowledge of Ruby will give you syntax
>> highlighting, which makes it a lot nicer. But it's not a requirement.

> For a Web based text editor try Google Docs.
> For a Web based Ruby IDE with editor try http://heroku.com/
>
> Charles M of Lexington\

Thanks!