Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to automatically fill data

How to automatically fill data

Q. John Chen

I redirect my user to the UPS tracking page. That's simple. What I
want to do are:

1. I have my user's tracking number and I want to automatically enter
the tracking number for the user. (At least I have to do this so user
don't have to remember the number and type).
2. Automatically click track button.

Any advise?

Thanks

John

Curt_C [MVP]

if it's someone elses page you are going to have an ugly time. Why not just
use the UPS tracking service on your page? IIRC you can get the code and
sample from their site to call their web service yourself from your own
site. It will make your site look "cooler" too.....just my opinion.

Curt

"Q. John Chen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I redirect my user to the UPS tracking page. That's simple. What I
> want to do are:
>
> 1. I have my user's tracking number and I want to automatically enter
> the tracking number for the user. (At least I have to do this so user
> don't have to remember the number and type).
> 2. Automatically click track button.
>
> Any advise?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Q. John Chen

Great idea. Thanks.

But UPS is only one of my carrier. I actually also need to interact
with others like ABF etc. Not sure if the have a web service.

So any suggestion to my previous question is greately appreciated.

Thanks

John

Curt_C [MVP]

I dont have specifically what you are after but do note that many (and ever
increasing) number of sites have code specifically to prevent "automatic"
submittals....

Curt

"Q. John Chen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Great idea. Thanks.
>
> But UPS is only one of my carrier. I actually also need to interact
> with others like ABF etc. Not sure if the have a web service.
>
> So any suggestion to my previous question is greately appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Q. John Chen

Curt,

I agree. I don't have to do automatic submit. But I need to find a way
to fill the tracking number and then let the user click the "Track"
button to submit.

Here is what I am doing. A button on my page with script "window.open"
to popup carrier's, say UPS, page. How can I fill the tracking number?
I guess some java script will do it.

Thanks.

John

"Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I dont have specifically what you are after but do note that many (and ever
> increasing) number of sites have code specifically to prevent "automatic"
> submittals....
>
> Curt
>
> "Q. John Chen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Great idea. Thanks.
> >
> > But UPS is only one of my carrier. I actually also need to interact
> > with others like ABF etc. Not sure if the have a web service.
> >
> > So any suggestion to my previous question is greately appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > John

Curt_C [MVP]

UPS uses a querystring I believe, as does FedEx. Just put in a valid package
number once and analyse the QS for how it's constructed. then just modify
eachtime and pass that to your client.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software