Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Includes S5 Support (IncludingBuilt-In Gradient Themes)

[ANN] Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Includes S5 Support (IncludingBuilt-In Gradient Themes)

Gerald Bauer

Hello,

The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language that's
easy-to-write and easy-to-read now includes (experimental) support for
S5 slide shows.

To create a S5 slide show instead of a FullerScreen slide show just
flip the s5 switch. Example:

slideshow -s5 microformats

That's it. The slideshow (S9) gem will create a web page
(microformats.html), a style sheet (microformats.css) and a
"loss-free" gradient theme using vector graphics (microformats.svg)
plus copy the S5 machinery into the s5 subfolder (that you can share
between all your slide shows).

You can find some S9 generated S5 samples online:

o Slide Show (S9) 10-Minute Tutorial @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/tutorial.html
o Microformats - Add Semantics to Your Web Site @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.html
o Facebook Stats, Numbers & More @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/facebook.html
o Merb - All You Need, None You Don't @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/merb.html

(Note, S5 slide shows include a hidden control bar. Scroll to the
lower right corner to make the jump box, outline toggle button and
more show up).

If you're curious you can find the plain-text sources online @
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/svn/samples

Questions and comments welcome. Enjoy.

Cheers.

PS: S9 Tip of the Day: Replace .html with .svg to check your
background gradient theme. Try
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.svg

--
Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

James Britt

Gerald Bauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
> author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language that's
> easy-to-write and easy-to-read now includes (experimental) support for
> S5 slide shows.

Under what license is this released? It doesn't seem to say on the
project page.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Peņa, Botp

From: Gerald Bauer [(E-Mail Removed)]=20
# (Note, S5 slide shows include a hidden control bar. Scroll to the
# lower right corner to make the jump box, outline toggle button and
# more show up).

arggh, how could i miss that. very nifty indeed. all the time i was just =
happy clicking

thanks for slideshow, Gerald
kind regards -botp

Axel Etzold

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:59:39 +0900
> Von: "Gerald Bauer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> An: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> Betreff: [ANN] Slide Show (S9) Gem Now Includes S5 Support (Including Built-In Gradient Themes)

> Hello,
>
> The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
> author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language that's
> easy-to-write and easy-to-read now includes (experimental) support for
> S5 slide shows.
>
> To create a S5 slide show instead of a FullerScreen slide show just
> flip the s5 switch. Example:
>
> slideshow -s5 microformats
>
> That's it. The slideshow (S9) gem will create a web page
> (microformats.html), a style sheet (microformats.css) and a
> "loss-free" gradient theme using vector graphics (microformats.svg)
> plus copy the S5 machinery into the s5 subfolder (that you can share
> between all your slide shows).
>
> You can find some S9 generated S5 samples online:
>
> o Slide Show (S9) 10-Minute Tutorial @
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/tutorial.html
> o Microformats - Add Semantics to Your Web Site @
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.html
> o Facebook Stats, Numbers & More @
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/facebook.html
> o Merb - All You Need, None You Don't @
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/merb.html
>
> (Note, S5 slide shows include a hidden control bar. Scroll to the
> lower right corner to make the jump box, outline toggle button and
> more show up).
>
> If you're curious you can find the plain-text sources online @
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/svn/samples
>
> Questions and comments welcome. Enjoy.
>
> Cheers.
>
> PS: S9 Tip of the Day: Replace .html with .svg to check your
> background gradient theme. Try
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.svg
>
> --
> Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

Dear Gerald,

thank you for this. It looks very nice. Is it possible to integrate it somehow with
Latex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) for formula/Greek variables editing ?

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Axel

--
Psssst! Schon das coole Video vom GMX MultiMessenger gesehen?
Der Eine für Alle: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/messenger03

Gerald Bauer

Hello,

> Under what license is this released? It doesn't seem to say on the project
> page.

It's public domain. Do whatever you like with it. No restrictions
whatsoever. Cheers.

--
Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

Gerald Bauer

Hello Axel,

> thank you for this. It looks very nice. Is it possible to integrate it somehow with
> Latex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) for formula/Greek variables editing ?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add your idea to the list for
possible upcoming additions.

If anyone wants to go ahead and add formulas you're more than
welcome. A good starting point might be the S5 in Instiki package that
uses itex2MML to let you add formulas using LaTeX that gets converted
to MathML as far as I can tell. See
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/instiki/show/S5

If anyone is interested in contributing extensions, addons,
patches etc. I invite you to join the mailing list/forum @
http://groups.google.com/group/webslideshow

Cheers.
--
Gerald Bauer - Internet Professional - http://geraldbauer.wordpress.com

Tim Pease

On Jul 3, 2008, at 2:21 AM, Axel Etzold wrote:

> Dear Gerald,
>
> thank you for this. It looks very nice. Is it possible to integrate
> it somehow with
> Latex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) for formula/Greek
> variables editing ?
>
> Thank you very much,

Take a look at Webby. It can output S5 style presentations and it
includes support for Latex formulas / Greek letters, Graphviz
diagrams, Ultraviolet and CodeRay syntax highlighting, Markdown,
Textile, and more.

http://webby.rubyforge.org/

Blessings,
TwP

James Britt

Gerald Bauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Under what license is this released? It doesn't seem to say on the project
>> page.

> It's public domain. Do whatever you like with it. No restrictions
> whatsoever. Cheers.

Thanks.

A suggestion; I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated the
release license, and in the absence of such a thing I assume it comes
with restrictions. Perhaps adding a LICENSE.TXT file would be good.

Thanks,

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Robert Dober

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:09 PM, James Britt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gerald Bauer wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> Under what license is this released? It doesn't seem to say on the
>>> project
>>> page.

>> It's public domain. Do whatever you like with it. No restrictions
>> whatsoever. Cheers.

> Thanks.
>
> A suggestion; I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated the release
> license, and in the absence of such a thing I assume it comes with
> restrictions. Perhaps adding a LICENSE.TXT file would be good.

I agree, that is to protect your great work, and I mean it, for
staying open source, I guess you would like to use a very liberal
license as e.g. BSD.
Cheers
Robert
--
http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/

---
AALST (n.) One who changes his name to be further to the front
D.Adams; The Meaning of LIFF

hemant

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Gerald Bauer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The Ruby Slide Show (S9) gem that lets you create slide shows and
> author slides in plain text using a wiki-style markup language that's
> easy-to-write and easy-to-read now includes (experimental) support for
> S5 slide shows.
>
> To create a S5 slide show instead of a FullerScreen slide show just
> flip the s5 switch. Example:
>
> slideshow -s5 microformats
>
> That's it. The slideshow (S9) gem will create a web page
> (microformats.html), a style sheet (microformats.css) and a
> "loss-free" gradient theme using vector graphics (microformats.svg)
> plus copy the S5 machinery into the s5 subfolder (that you can share
> between all your slide shows).
>
> You can find some S9 generated S5 samples online:
>
> o Slide Show (S9) 10-Minute Tutorial @
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/tutorial.html
> o Microformats - Add Semantics to Your Web Site @
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/microformats.html
> o Facebook Stats, Numbers & More @
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/facebook.html
> o Merb - All You Need, None You Don't @
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/s5/merb.html
>
> (Note, S5 slide shows include a hidden control bar. Scroll to the
> lower right corner to make the jump box, outline toggle button and
> more show up).
>
> If you're curious you can find the plain-text sources online @
> http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/svn/samples
>
> Questions and comments welcome. Enjoy.

Is it just me or there is an issue with Firefox3 and Slide Show on Linux?
Xorg/Firefox make system freeze while loading those awesome presentations.